Monday, March 10, 2008

Saturday Dinner at C&T's

On Saturday we went over to C&T's house for dinner. Just look at this fabulous standing rib roast being carved into luscious pieces:


T always puts out a huge feast and this time was no exception. Here's the salad:


... with lettuce, avocado, tomato, cucumber and carrots. In keeping with an English theme, T made pillowy-soft, light-as-air popovers:


I had at least two and could have eaten more had my stomach not rebelled. T also steamed green beans then cooked them with tons of garlic:


Boiled red potatoes:


...and roasted root vegetables (I think there's beets, carrots, parsnips, squash and red onion in there):


... silky gravy made from the roast drippings:


Here's the spread all laid out on the counter:


Another close-up of the popovers:


The side dishes:


And my plate, with a little bit of everything:


My salad didn't fit on my regular plate:


Even though dinner was fantastic, it was the dessert that had everyone swooning. T made sticky toffee pudding:


... and served it with fresh whipped cream. For some reason I didn't take a photo of my plate, but trust me when I say it was a beautiful sight. We also had two kinds of cheeses (courtesy of the S&B, the other guests). This was a stilton topped with cherries marinated in balsamic vinegar:


I'm not usually a fan of blue cheeses but this was outstanding. Nice and sharp. The other cheese was a mix of blue and cheddar cheeses. S served this with sliced pears. Yum!


Thanks again, C&T, for a fantastic dinner. You guys sure know how to throw a dinner party!

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Are the "popovers" Yorkshire puddings? They look similar. That dinner looks delicious, mm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie - Not exactly, but they are similar. T was going to make Yorkshire pudding using the beef drippings, but she wasn't sure how the red wine in the drippings would work in the pudding so she just made regular popovers (basically Yorkshire pudding minus the drippings).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just had my dream dinner. Prime rib, popovers, and sticky toffee pudding. I've never made the pudding but someday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait a minute...onions aren't root vegetables are they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. everything looks great, but my two favorite things here are the cheese and crackers and the popovers. mmm. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!