Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Dinner

Yesterday we went to my parent's house for Easter dinner. My mom came up with the menu ideas and I helped her cook. Our meal included ham, kielbasa and rack of lamb (more on the lamb later):


... tomatoes and asparagus tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper:


... and then roasted until the tomatoes burst:


... and the asparagus became tender:


I made deviled eggs for the first time and I was really pleased with how good they turned out:


My mom made her famous (and totally addictive) potato salad:


And we got sliced rye bread from the bakery:


Now, more about the lamb. We used this recipe from Emeril and it was excellent. Here I am adding the bread crumb and cheese mixture to the racks:


The smell of the garlic and mustard crust was sensational and really permeated the house. Yum! Here's the table all laid out:


My plate with a little of everything:


For dessert my mom made her exceptionally good lemon cheesecake:


... beautifully decorated with fresh raspberries. We also made a sauce using frozen raspberries and raspberry jam to decorate the plate:


Another outstanding holiday meal. Thanks, Mom, for letting me take over your kitchen. :)
Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. The deviled eggs look so good. Those are definitely a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it that you NEVER made deviled eggs before?! You look like such a good cook, and thats a staple at our house, I thought everybody made those!

    It all looks yummy!
    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! How long do you roast your asparagus?

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Everything looks great and it's a WONDERFUL spread, but that rack of lamb looks AMAZING! My mouth is watering and it's not even 8am!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny - Thanks! I love them, too.

    Angela - I never had to make them before. My mom or stepgrandmother, or mother-in-law would always make them for any family function. You know how it is - someone is "known" for their deviled eggs so they always bring them. :) We changed things up this year so I got to try my hand at making them.

    Michelle - Thanks! I usually do asparagus at 450 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the asparagus and how firm/soft you like the finished product.

    Katie - LOL! Thanks. :) This was our first time trying rack of lamb at home and we were very pleased with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. deviled eggs are one of steve's favorite things - I'm curious, what did you put in yours? (they look really good right now)

    the lamb looks great - whenever I make one, I do a crumb mustard thing but rub in rosemary.

    and ham. mmmmmm ham. my favorite favorite holiday meat. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Home Cook, it is I who should be thanking you for taking over my kitchen and creating that fine Easter feast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, you're going straight to the top of my blogroll. I'm thrilled to have found your blog and your meals look simply divine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa - I kept it simple: mashed egg yolks, salt, mayo and a smidge of yellow mustard. I *think* I may have put some fresh pepper in as well, but I don't remember.

    I thought rosemary would be great with the lamb, but my mom wanted to try the mustard crust. Maybe we can combine the two next time. :)

    Alotta - It was a pleasure cooking with you, as always. :)

    Liz - Aww...thanks! It's nice to know people like what I'm doing here. I tried to access your blog by clicking on your name, but the link seems to be broken. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's great HC - they look simple and that's just how I love them. the only other thing steve adds, cause he usually makes them himself (shocking!), is pickle juice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks wonderful. I'm very impressed with how well your lamb turned out - it's gorgeous!

    Isn't it funny when you realize you've never had the chance to make simple things . . . last summer I made potato salad for the first time! Much like you, my Grandma had always made it and I'd never had the chance. Come to find out, I like mine better! LOL.

    Thanks for sharing your Easter dinner with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melissa - Pickle juice, huh? I've never heard of that but it sounds good. Like it would give them a nice tang. I love pickles!

    Angie - Thanks!! It was funny to realize I've never had the chance to make them before. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!