Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Avocado Enchiladas, Spanish Rice, Black Beans

I know Cinco de Mayo was on Monday, but my home life has been a little topsy-turvy lately so our celebratory meal didn't happen until last night. A woman on a cooking board I frequent recently shared a recipe for Avocado Enchiladas that sounded fantastic. Really, when it comes to avocados, you can't go wrong in my book. I love everything about them so I knew this recipe would be a winner.


I basically tripled the recipe so I'd end up with 6 enchiladas. I also used the enchilada sauce from this recipe and it was perfect. It's a great, simple sauce recipe and it made enough for me to have some leftover for another time.

My buddy Melissa has a recipe for Spanish Rice that I've been dying to try so I finally made it last night. This was seriously the best Spanish rice I've ever had. And it was so simple to make. Yum!

Black beans rounded out the meal. I got a recipe from a coworker (I used canned beans, but the idea was the same). I liked the flavor a lot, but the texture needed some work. Of course SP told me after dinner that he isn't a fan of beans (except for refried). Oh well. The rice and enchiladas were stellar so I'll definitely be making this meal again.

Avocado Enchiladas
Modified from ...But where do you get your protein?

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced sodium chicken broth
1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
1 small canned chipotle chile in adobo, minced, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from can
6 ripe avocados, sliced in half, pit removed and flesh scooped out
1/2 a small red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
Lime juice
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
3 cloves garlic, grated
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt and black pepper to taste
12 flour tortillas
Grated sharp Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
Additional cilantro leaves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium saucepan, heat 1 ½ tablespoons oil over medium. Add flour and cook, whisking occasionally, 1 minute. Add broth, chili powder, chipotle and adobo sauce, and ¾ cup water; bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat, and simmer until lightly thickened, about 10 minutes.

Spray a glass baking dish with cooking spray. Mash up the avocado in a glass bowl. Add the onion, garlic, cilantro, cumin, tomatoes, jalapeno, lime juice, and salt and pepper. Mix together as you would if you were making guacamole.

Spoon the avocado mixture into the tortillas and roll them up. Place tortillas in the prepared baking dish and cover with enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with additional cilantro just before serving.
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. I love avocados too. I definitely plan to make these enchiladas. This is getting starred in my google reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow! this looks wonderful. i am obssessed with avocados so i really need to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn - You won't be disappointed. :)

    Kayte - If you love avocados you'll love these. They're so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a-gonna try this again. :)

    I am so glad you made the rice! For me, there's nothing like having someone make something I made and find it great. :D I really am happy it worked out so well for you.

    Everything here looks awesome. I love the avocado enchilada thing - but alas steve wouldn't eat those. I wish he would love avocados. But I'd have to do them on my own for now. urgh. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa - Yay! It came through. :)

    The rice was outstanding. In fact, I'm thinking about having some for breakfast this morning with a fried egg.

    The beauty of the enchiladas is you could always make 2 avocado for you and some other filling for Steve. I know it's more work to make two different fillings, but this way you can both be happy and you can still try the avocado enchiladas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything about this dinner looks amazing! I can't wait to try the enchiladas. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's so true, HC, and it wouldn't be the first time I've done different meals for us. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!