Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Smothered Pork Chops

When my plans for Thai food with friends fell through at the last minute I needed to come up with a quick dinner idea. Some people on a cooking board I frequent recommended Tyler Florence's recipe for Smothered Pork Chops and since bone-in chops were on sale at the supermarket this week it seemed like the perfect solution.


It was recommended I serve the chops with mashed potatoes to sop up all the yummy gravy (and potatoes were on sale - how fortuitous). I also steamed a few heads of broccoli and dinner was served.


One of the things I liked about this recipe was that the chops were coated in a seasoned flour mixture, which gave them a nice crispy exterior. I seasoned the flour with salt, pepper, cayenne and garlic powder. We don't keep onion powder on hand so I finely diced half an onion and cooked it in the pan before making the gravy. Because of the cayenne in the flour the gravy has just the slightest hint of heat, which SP and I agreed was a very welcome addition. I also skipped the buttermilk, opting instead for plain old milk. It worked out fine, but I'm sure it would add a nice tang to the gravy.

I mashed the potatoes with more of my Plugra butter. They were absolutely delicious. Overall a fantastic, satisfying meal.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I did a meme on Monday where I talked about food I was embarrassed to admit I like - and pork chop fat was one of those foods! And then I see you cooked pork chops! Mmmmm! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love animal fat with the exception of lamb...blech. And I know SP does too ;)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!