Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tilapia, Potatoes, Green Beans

I don't cook a lot of fish. I just don't have much experience with it but I know it's good for us so I'm trying to find ways to prepare it that we might like. I bought 3 pounds of frozen tilapia fillets at the wholesale club and used a pound and a half for the fish cakes, but I didn't know what to do with the other pound and a half. I finally settled on a simple meal of fried tilapia, boiled potatoes tossed with butter and parsley and steamed green beans:


I coated the fish in flour seasoned with salt and pepper, then dipped the fillets in egg (also seasoned with salt and pepper) and then put them back in the seasoned flour. I heated a skillet with about an inch of vegetable oil and gave them a quick shallow fry, just long enough to develop a nice golden brown crust:


The fish was perfectly seasoned, with a crunchy coating made even better with a generous squeeze of lemon. I also squeezed a little lemon over my green beans, which were still bright and snappy tossed with a little butter, salt and pepper. The potatoes were a nice change from the usual mashed and the addition of fresh, fragrant parsley was perfect.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. gorgeous!

    I make a simple sauce with butter, lemon juice, a smidge of dijon, and some capers. It's lovely on pan-fried fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. C - Your sauce sounds wonderful! I was going to do something with capers but they were so expensive at the store and they only had the gigantic variety, so I stuck with plain old lemon. I love the sound of the butter, lemon, Dijon and capers, though. I'll save that for another time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy. Man, I wish I can come over and eat your home cookin'. These days, I'm just too lazy to cook. That tilapia looks awesome, especially with the potatoes and beans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this. I need to cook more fish too, if not for my sake (I eat it on my own) then for steve's for the health benefits.

    making pizza tonight for the first time. *crossing fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  5. elmo - Thanks! :) I was really proud of how it turned out, seeing as I didn't really use a recipe.

    Melissa - I hope the pizza went well! I need to update my blog...

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!