Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Cod Cakes, Red Pepper Gravy, Spinach Mashers

I was working on my blog over the weekend, going through the painstaking process of adding labels to the older posts, when I came across this post for Rachael Ray's Cod Cakes with Red Pepper Gravy and Spinach Mashers. I remember really liking this meal so when I found 3lbs of frozen tilapia filets at the wholesale club I knew what to make.


The meal was every bit as satisfying as last time, although once again I couldn't get it finished in anywhere close to 30 minutes. I took my time since SP doesn't get home until almost 7pm, but all told this took me an hour and a half to make. It's really, really good but wow is that a long time!

I noticed quite a few things about this recipe that I had to modify. For starters, the additional cup of breadcrumbs is unnecessary. My cakes held together just fine with only one cup. I also used only 1 can (just shy of 2 cups) of chicken stock and that was plenty for both the potatoes and the gravy. And a full pound of baby spinach? I used a 6-ounce bag and that was more than enough for 4 good-size portions of potatoes.
Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks SO great and colorful! And it's plated so well! I'm certianly impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie - It's a really great recipe. :)

    Thanks! That means a lot coming from a caterer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. something I would have forgotten about trying (cakes in general I mean). thanks as always for the good idea!

    p.s. yours DO look really good, and well plated. very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa - Thanks for the compliments! I always forget about certain recipes that are really good. I'm glad I have this blog to remind me from time to time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes! I can already foresee that being so helpful. so I'm trying to be very diligent about tagging my posts every time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, these look AMAZING. I have a bunch of frozen cod... I wonder would that work?

    ReplyDelete
  7. a witt - It's a fantastic recipe and it looks gorgeous on the plate.

    The recipe calls for cod, I just use tilapia because it's cheaper and easier for me to find frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, I agree it looks beautiful and delicious. Your site is making me feel like cooking, which is something I rarely do! I'm very impressed with the pictures too - I am unable to cook and take pictures and plate things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. foodhoe - Thanks!! You know, I never noticed that your site didn't include any home cooked food. LOL! And thanks for the compliments on my photography. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!