Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Fish Cakes

I didn't eat a lot of fish growing up. Occasionally my mom would make bluefish, but she didn't really start cooking fish on a regular basis until I went to college. The idea of fish cakes wouldn't have appealed to me a few years ago, but the other day I caught the last 2 minutes of 30-Minute Meals when Rachael Ray was making Cod Croquettes, Sweet Red Pepper Gravy, and Mashed Potatoes with Spinach and it looked so tasty I immediately looked up the recipe and made a mental note to try it.


Since we had tilapia filets in the freezer I used those instead of cod. SP and I had a very late lunch after an excruciating 3 1/2 hours at the DMV (we finally got our PA licenses!) so we shared this portion. It was amazing. I loved the crunchy exterior of the cakes and the flavors were great - the lemon, thyme and Old Bay married together perfectly and the tilapia was fishy without being overwhelming. I also liked the potatoes mixed with the baby spinach. All in all a definite keeper, despite the meal taking more than an hour to put together (and resulting in some burns on my arm from when the hot oil splashed me). I will definitely be making this one again or maybe even the variation with turkey and cranberry sauce.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Ahem, you had a rather limited palette when you were growing up. Meat, and I emphasize the MEAT, potatoes, and broccoli. Not green beans, not peas, BROCCOLI. To this DAY I can't eat broccoli!! But you are correct, I didn't make fish much when you were growing up, with the exception of tuna salad (and I do make a mean tuna salad!). Now that you're out of the house, however, we're eating fish or seafood just about every other night! Go figure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize you still had an aversion to broccoli. Sorry! :) And yes, you make a mean tuna salad. I don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. isn't blogging a unifying experience? I love it and I love it that my father and my sister do it as well/with me. Cool for the two of you!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!