Monday, September 10, 2007

Mock Chile Rellenos

At the farmer's market my coworkers and I go to every week they sell 3 peppers for $1. I've always admired the gorgeous cubanelle peppers but could never think of anything to make with them. Then it came to me - mock chile rellenos made with cubanelles instead of poblanos. This was an experiment that turned out much better then I was expecting.


I roasted the peppers on my stove top until they were blackened all over, then put them in a bowl covered with plastic wrap so the skin would steam off. After they were cool I removed the skin, cut a slit in one side and removed the seeds. I used a combination of Monterery Jack and cheddar cheeses to stuff the peppers and then sealed them with toothpicks:


The batter was made with 2 eggs separated, the whites whipped until they formed stuff peaks and the yolks beaten with 1 tablespoon of flour then mixed together. It puffed slightly as the peppers cooked in some hot canola oil. Once the peppers were golden brown I submerged them in a quick tomato sauce made using canned tomatoes pulsed until chunky and seasoned with oregano, salt, pepper and my secret ingredient, a dash of cinnamon. I wanted to serve this with Mexican rice and refried beans but I didn't plan ahead so I didn't have any on hand. I'll definitely make this recipe again using poblanos for that spicy kick.
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love chili rellenos, but of course cubano peppers are more easily obtained.
    Will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could have used the rabbit in them from the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dani - Since the cubanelles are the same shape I thought it would be perfect. Except for the lack of heat they tasted just like a regular chile relleno. :)

    longhair - No eating the rabbits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, this looks really good and easy too! Think I am gonna have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!