Sunday, November 25, 2007

Sunday Roast

I consider myself a good cook, but even I have an albatross - roast beef. I think in all my years of cooking I've only attempted roast beef once before and I don't remember it being anything special. But then Cook's Country came into my life and with it a recipe for garlic roast beef. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't find the recommended cut of beef in my supermarket. To make matters worse, when I looked at the recipe yesterday morning I saw that I'd actually purchased the cut they say to steer clear of because of it's "sour, livery taste." Great.

But I soldiered on, spending upwards of an hour dutifully toasting, peeling and slicing garlic to stuff into the roast, boiling oil, seasonings and a full head of garlic for the garlic paste and mincing even more garlic and seasonings for the garlic rub. My hands smelled fantastic. I did everything according to the recipe, but I knew as soon as I cut into the meat that it wasn't going to be good. For starters, it was overcooked. And there was no discernible garlic flavor. Instead I was met with...shock of all shocks...livery, sour meat. SP, being the product of Depression-era parents that he is, ate his serving and mine and refused to throw any of it away.


The only good things about the meal were the potato gratin and the steamed green beans. The gratin was perfect:


... with it's delectable garlic-infused cream and milk, the soft, creamy layers of sliced potato and the generous sprinkling of grated pecorino cheese that forms a nice crust.

But never fear, all was not lost. We had cupcakes for dessert:

Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Yummy! Dinner and especially dessert, look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie - At least the potatoes were amazing. :) And cupcakes are always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of cut did they recommend, and what kind did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  4. longhair - They recommended a top sirloin roast, which I couldn't find at the store.

    I bought a bottom round, which was the one they said to steer clear of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hands smelled fantastic.

    I bet! mmmm gaaarrrlic.

    sorry about the roast. the potatoes do look great though and that's something.

    I have an albatross too - fish. I have GOT to get good at cooking fish cause I love it more than anything, and I want steve to eat it, but damn, I suck at it hehehe.

    and cupcakes will always save the day. they're cupcakes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa - The potatoes were so freakin' good. I had that and green beans for lunch the next day and oh my were they amazing.

    Fish is something I'm learning to cook as well, hence my recent foray into those cod (tilapia) cakes and the fried tilapia.

    Mmmm...cupcakes. The cure-all for whatever ails you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The baby thinks you should share your recipe for potato gratin! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessy - Does the baby have a gender yet? I am seriously dying to know!! :)

    Here you go. Enjoy! It's so easy but it tastes fantastic. I could probably eat the whole thing myself.

    Peel and thinly slice 2 1/2 pounds of russet potatoes (I used my mandolin) and put them in a pot with 1 cup of heavy cream, 1 3/4 cups milk, salt, pepper, a pinch of nutmeg, 2 tablespoons butter and 1 clove of minced garlic. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut a clove of garlic in half and rub the cut side all over a 2-qt baking dish, then butter the dish. Add the potato and milk mixture to the dish, spreading out the potato slices. Grate some Pecorino cheese over the top, cover with tin foil and bake 40 minutes, then uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We were told a boy then a girl then they weren't sure if they were viewing the cord again. Aggravating? Why Yes! We go once more. I'm beginning to think that we aren't meant to find out until March! ;)

    Thanks for the recipe! I can't wait to try it! Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessy - Oh man...that has got to be so aggravating. I'm one of those people who, when the time comes, really wants to know so I bet my kid plays hide and seek like yours is doing. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!