Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Spaghetti Carbonara

I really hate when a meal I've been looking forward to all day, spent upwards of 30 minutes preparing, watching over it to make sure everything came together just right, gets ruined in the last few seconds before it hits the plate.

Such was the case on Monday when I made Nigella's Spaghetti Carbonara. About a month ago I tried this version for the first time and it was fantastic. Please, click on the link and look at the picture. Absolutely gorgeous. The words silky and creamy come to mind. Then there's this:


Can you see all the little flecks? That's cooked egg. I was rushing and forgot to remove the pan from the stove when I mixed in the cream and eggs and the eggs scrambled. I cannot even begin to tell you how upset I was. I'd been looking forward to this meal all day, babysat the bacon and onions as they cooked so they'd be perfect, cooked the pasta al dente so it didn't get mushy and then, when the moment of truth arrived, I got careless and messed the whole thing up.

SP, bless his heart, said it tasted just fine, but with every bite I grew more and more annoyed. But like they say, I'll never make that mistake again.
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. You could pretend it was Parmesan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. longhair - Aww...thanks for pretending. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww lhm, that's sweet. :) so sorry about the carbonara, hc. that stinks.

    but that reminds me... *running off to put carbonara on menu for next week*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa - I want to put it on the menu again just to redeem myself. I wonder if SP will agree to it. He isn't really that big a fan of carbonara.

    ReplyDelete
  5. he isn't? I'm kind of glad to hear you say that since steve just liked it, but didn't love it. I, on the other hand, was instantly smitten. ;) go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa - He likes it, but it's certainly not something he'd ever ask me to make. Me, I LOVE it. Absolutely love it. Could eat it every week kind of love. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!