Monday, November 05, 2007

Chicken Cacciatore

One of the stops we made on our Sunday road trip was at a farm stand. We'd taken two packages of chicken thighs out of the freezer, but didn't really have a plan in mind for what to cook. At the stand we saw potatoes, mushrooms and peppers for much less then we pay at the supermarket, so SP suggested chicken cacciatore. Since I was home yesterday I was able to get dinner started earlier than usual and by the time SP got home the whole house smelled fantastic.


I didn't follow an exact recipe, but I did use some of the ideas from this recipe from Rachael Ray, the most important being marinating the chicken thighs in balsamic, olive oil, Worcestershire, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and rosemary. We got some fresh rosemary from friends of C & C. The marinade really made the meal - all the fresh flavors were fantastic.

Other then that, I pretty much made my own dish based loosely on the recipe. I cut the thighs into a large dice and browned them in a large pan (we call her Bertha). Then I added 2 chopped green peppers; 1 package of mushrooms, sliced; a few cloves of minced garlic; half an onion, sliced and cooked everything down together. Once the veggies were soft I added 1 large can of crushed tomatoes, seasoned with a little more salt and pepper and let the whole thing simmer until SP got home (maybe 20 minutes). The sauce got nice and thick as it cooked, which was great because the longer it sat the better it got. I cooked the potatoes with a few cloves of crushed garlic and then mashed them with milk, butter, salt and pepper. They made the perfect bed for the chicken cacciatore.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could get M Laz to eat this. I love it but he's all icked out because of the vegetables. Maybe a veggie-less variety would help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. C Laz - What is with that boy? Icked out because of the vegetables? Silly man. :)

    Veggie-less would just be chicken and tomatoes, but that would still taste good. Does he like any veggies? Even some onion would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, he's not fond of like, cooked carrots and celery. The onion would be okay IF it's cooked down and sweet. If it still has onion taste, no dice.

    It could be worse, he could...not like seafood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. C Laz - Cooked carrots and celery play no part in this dish so you should be OK. Does he like green pepper and mushrooms? I cooked the veggies (pepper, mushrooms and onion) until they were nice and sweet. You can still tell what they are, but the flavor isn't overpowering or anything.

    LMAO! One of these days we'll have to get you liking shrimp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love love love chicken cacciatore. C Laz - I actually have a recipe for it from Lidia Bastanich (spell check?) that has no veggies in it. It's very good. I am hoping to post it soon on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!