Sunday, November 18, 2007

Burger and Fries

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've updated. I don't really have an excuse - things haven't been too busy, it's just been hard to find the time to sit down at the computer in the evenings. I spend most of my day in front of one at work so when I come home I want to read the newspaper or watch TV or just sit with SP and enjoy the quiet.

Thursday night we had burgers and fries for dinner. I was worried about how this meal would turn out since I cooked the burgers on the stovetop and the fries in the oven, but the whole meal was a success:


Just look at that juicy burger with all those gorgeous toppings:


I topped my burger with pepper Jack cheese, fried myself an egg and layered the burger with mayo, ketchup, sliced red onion, crispy bacon and some lettuce. For the burgers I grated some onion and garlic and mixed that into the meat with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.


The fries were the biggest surprise, though. I used the remainder of a package of frozen fries I found lurking in the freezer. I got some tips for cooking frozen fries from the girls on a cooking board I frequent. One gave me a recipe for tossing the fries with chopped garlic, parsley, salt, pepper and olive oil:


I cooked the fries on a baking sheet for about 20 minutes. They were still a bit soggy - next time I'm going to cook them on the pizza stone. That was another suggestion and I think it sounds like it'll work perfectly.
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. I've found that adding things like garlic, garlic salt or chicken salt, as well as paprika to chips just after cooking them gives them this extra flavour that store-bought oven chips really need. They look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the burger and fries both look HEAVENLY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie - I definitely need to cook them longer so they're crispy, but I loved the added flavors from the garlic and parsley. Yum!

    Melissa - Just looking at these pics is making me drool. The burger was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually don't like burgers, but this one looks absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the addition of the fried egg....I am going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie - Thanks! :)

    Melissa - The fried egg is a real indulgence. The yolk adds that extra level of tasty goodness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, here's a tip for fabulous oven fries. I think I first saw this in Cuisine at Home or Fine Cooking, but it's now a staple at our house.

    Cut potatoes into your chosen fry shape – I have used both standard fry shape and chunkier wedges, depending on my mood. Bring to a boil in salted water, boil for one minute, then drain well. Toss with a splash of olive oil and seasonings (I like salt, pepper and some ground chipotle chile). Spread them out on a cookie sheet (lots of room helps them brown and crisp, not steam). Put in a 425-450 degree oven (middle shelf) and check them after about 15 minutes. When they are getting crisp on the bottom, loosen and move them around with a spatula. Another 10 minutes or so should do it, but peek frequently.

    We had these with burgers this week (must be an active cheeseburger meme floating around) and they were divine.

    Burger looks lovely - thanks for sharing!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lauren - That's a great tip! Thanks for posting it. I'll definitely be giving oven-baked fries another chance. I would have made my own last week but I was out of potatoes. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!