Thursday, October 18, 2007

Tennessee Whiskey Pork Chops

Jen, a girl on a cooking board I frequent, asked me to post this recipe for Tennessee Whiskey Pork Chops that I made two times this summer. When I asked SP to help me find the recipe it sparked a renewed interest in Cook's Country. We really love that magazine and there are so many good recipes we haven't tried yet. Here you go, Jen! Enjoy! If you make this for your husband please let me know. :)

Tennessee Whiskey Pork Chops
Serves 4
August/September 2005 Cook's Country

1/2 cup Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey or 1/2 cup bourbon
1/2 cup apple cider
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 teaspoons cider vinegar
4 bone-in, center-cut pork chops, about 1 inch thick
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Whisk whiskey, cider, brown sugar, mustard, cayenne, vanilla and 2 teaspoons vinegar together in medium bowl. Transfer 1/4 cup whiskey mixture to gallon-size zipper-locl plastic bag, add pork chops, press air out of bag, and seal. Turn bag to coat chops with marinade and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours. Reserve remaining whiskey mixture separately.

Remove chops from bag, pat dry with paper towels, and discard marinade. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just beginning to smoke. Season chops with salt and pepper and cook until well browned on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer chops to plate and cover tightly with foil.

Add reserved whiskey mixture to skillet and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Cook until reduced to a thick glaze, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and, holding onto chops, tip plate to add any accumulated juices back to the skillet. Add remaining 2 teaspoons vinegar, whisk in butter, and simmer glaze until thick and sticky, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat.

Return chops to skillet and let rest in pan until sauce clings to chops, turning chops occasionally to coat both sides. Check to make sure chops are no longer pink (145 degrees on instant-read thermometer) after about 5 minutes. Transfer chops to platter and top with sauce.
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. I really need to try this one of yours. pork chops are something I tend to make the same over and over and only a couple of recipes worth - I need suggestions in that category. I have a bunch right now so I may try this next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa - I know how you feel. We were in a serious pork chop rut before this recipe. It's hard to find new and interesting ways to make them since they need such bold flavors in order to make them taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I will definately be making this soon. :) I will let you know and will post it to my blog (of course giving you credit).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer - I can't wait to hear if your husband likes this recipe. :) I just checked out your blog and saw he's pretty picky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have everything I need for these, and I know I can always count on Cook's. Thanks so much! Now I can't wait for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to hear what you think. We loved these but obviously it's been a long time since I made them. :)

      Delete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!