Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Smothered Pork Chops

Pork chops were on sale at the store this week. I was craving comfort food and wanted an easy meal so I decided to make Smothered Pork Chops:


Tonight's meal was even better then the last time, although it wasn't until I looked at the pictures that I realized I made the exact same sides - mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. I guess it all goes well together.

The gravy was world's better this time, with a richer, better depth of flavor. I coated the chops in flour mixed with garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne, chili powder and some dried parsley but before I made the sauce I added a chopped shallot to the pan. I think it added a nice mild onion flavor. I also used heavy cream in the sauce instead of milk, which helped with the richness.

The mashed potatoes were excellent, as always, although I ran out of Plugra awhile back so these weren't as rich. I also made sure to undercook the broccoli since SP likes it crispy and it was perfect.
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm pork chops! That looks delicious! I'll have to give the recipe a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just sent myself that smothered pork chop recipe - like I said, I'm compiling all the ones for chops that I can right now cause yeah, one or two over and over gets so boring.

    making carbonara tonight for the first time (*crossing fingers*).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie - Our chops last night had lots of fat and I thought of you. :P

    Melissa - It's really tasty! I'm always looking for new ideas for pork chops.

    Ooooh...good luck!! I hope it turns out well. I'm trying a modified recipe tonight (just kind of winging it) and I'm really worried since I'm SO not in the mood for what I'm planning to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful!!! I stumbled on your blog and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well that always makes it a bit less fun, when you don't really want what you're planning... best of luck anyway. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missy - Welcome!! I'm so glad to hear you like what I do. :)

    Melissa - I think I need to go back to the simpler meals we know and love.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!