Friday, July 06, 2007

Potato Cake

I've seen both Michael Chiarello and Giada De Laurentiis make potato cakes using leftover mashed potatoes so when I had some leftover from the Super Mashers with Shrimp and Chorizo I decided to try making them for breakfast with a fried egg on top.




This is actually my second attempt. The first ended with a pile of reheated mashed potatoes with a few crusty bits. It tasted great, but wasn't very photogenic. This time I left the potato cake alone in the pan for at least 5 minutes per side so it could develop a proper crust. I also used a mixture of butter and oil (last time I used only oil) to promote browning. The juxtaposition of the crispy outside and creamy inside of the cake is phenomenal and the flavor is great because the potatoes were made with garlic and scallions. The fried egg on top just gilded the lily with its perfectly runny yolk.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I always have leftover mashed potatoes. I'll try and do this sometime.

    Nice picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipes look and sound amazing! Thank you for posting them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leica - I forgot to mention in the posting that you need to mix the leftover potatoes with some flour to help it stick together.

    Creatific - Thanks! I can't decide which I love more: taking the photos or cooking the meal. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!