Monday, August 18, 2008

Skillet Beef Stroganoff

I had originally planned to make this dish on Thursday, but SP wasn't feeling well so we opted for the comfort of takeout Chinese food instead. We were disappointed about putting off Pizza Friday, but since I'd already defrosted the ground beef I had to change plans. The result was well worth it - this was an outstanding meal.


I saw this recipe on a recent episode of ATK and had been itching to make it ever since. Not only were the flavors outstanding, the creaminess was perfect and the best part - it was a one-pot meal, which made for easy cleanup. SP loved it so much he asked for seconds and had to restrain himself from thirds. This will be my go-to recipe from now on.

The only modification I made was using ground beef instead of the sirloin because that's what we had on hand (not to mention I'm not a fan of chunks of steak in pasta dishes). It worked beautifully and actually cut the cooking time by 30 minutes because I didn't have to simmer the beef until it was tender.

Skillet Beef Stroganoff
America's Test Kitchen Easy Skillet Suppers

1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak tips, pounded and cut thin across the grain (I used ground beef)
Salt and pepper
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
10 ounces white mushrooms, sliced thin
1 onion, chopped fine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1/3 cup brandy
1/3 pound wide egg noodles (3 cups)
2/3 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons lemon juice

1. Pat beef dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook half of beef until well browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to medium bowl and repeat with 1 tablespoon more oil and remaining beef. (I just browned all the ground beef in a skillet and then removed to a bowl).

2. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in now-empty skillet until shimmering. Cook mushrooms, onion, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until liquid from mushrooms has evaporated, about 8 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 30 seconds, then add both broths and the brandy, and return beef and accumulated juices to pan. Bring to simmer, cover, and cook over low heat until beef is tender, 30 to 35 minutes. (Once I added the ground beef I continued right on to the next step).

3. Stir noodles into beef mixture, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until noodles are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Off heat, stir in sour cream and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Mmm, this sounds tasty! I like your use of ground beef (rather than chunked steak) as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a beef stroganoff once and it was from you (well, RR), I believe. It was good, but not quiiiite what I wanted. I may try this one (yes, really), though I have to admit I like making it with the sliced beef.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa - The RR recipe I used to use was just ehhh. It had a tendency not to be saucy enough (and we all know how much I love me some sauce!) but this one is really good. And I love that the noodles cook in the sauce - one less pot for me to wash and deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's exactly what the problem was - not enough sauce. Look forward to giving it a new try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This totally takes me back to my childhood! My mom made beef stroganoff a lot. This recipe looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was incredible !!!! Both of my kids had seconds !!! (I love the ground beef). I also added a back of fresh spinach to give it a little extra love. Thank you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was great !!! Both of kids had seconds :) I also added a bag of fresh spinach for a little umph. Thank you !!!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!