Sunday, July 29, 2007

Rainy Day BBQ

I know I've said it before but I feel like I need to say it again - I love Cook's Country magazine. When I saw a recipe in the latest issue for Slow Cooker Barbecue Shredded Beef I knew it would be amazing even though I was slightly skeptical about making it in my slow cooker. I've never had much luck with my slow cooker, but this turned out great. We invited my mom and stepdad over for a little impromptu indoor BBQ.


I served the sandwiches on soft, pillowy rolls that had just enough substance not to disintegrate but were light enough not to compete with the meat.

I've been meaning to try Ina's Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread from her new cookbook:


... and it did not disappoint. Slightly spicy from the jalapenos and scallions, rich and moist from the cheddar and milk, this was a real winner. But as you can see from the tower of cornbread, it's enough to feed an army. SP prefers a sweeter cornbread, so I might experiment by adding more sugar next time to see if I can get a whole sweet-savory thing going on.

Mom brought coleslaw made with fresh veggies from their vegetable co-op box:


... and because we didn't have enough food, SP made wings as an appetizer while we waited for the meat to finish cooking:


We bought a huge pack of chicken wings at the wholesale club not realizing until it was time to put them in the oven that we had gotten whole chicken wings, not the pre-butchered wingettes. Luckily I'd recently seen a TV chef break up chicken wings so I had some idea what I was doing. A sharp knife and a little time and I got those wings separated with no problem.

And for dessert, pumpkin gems from the local farmer's market:

Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Wow... When you guys go, you go big!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! We definitely don't do anything half-assed around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum! I've only ever made slow cooked pulled pork - what cut of beef do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Su-Lin - We actually thought about making the same recipe with pork, but we're concerned about the pork being fatty enough not to dry out.

    For the beef we used a combination of chuck underblade/pot roast and some flank steak we had in the freezer. The recipe called for chuck eye round but we couldn't find anything called that so we used the pot roast and it worked perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are pumpkin gems? They look yummy - is it meringue on the top?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie - pumpkin gems are just mini pumpkin cupcakes. The frosting is a cream cheese frosting. Very yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!