Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Loaded baked potato soup:


I made this on Sunday to eat during the week. It made a lot of soup but this was so delicious we ate almost all of it between dinner and lunches the next day. It was a little time-consuming (mainly because the potatoes took forever to cook) but the results were so good it was worth it. I shredded some extra cheese, cooked some bacon and chopped some scallions for garnish:


I don't think you can eat soup without something to dunk in it, so we had some sliced ciabatta bread:


Crispy yet soft, this is one of my favorite breads. I don't make soup often (I think this is only the second or third time I've made soup. I'm just not a hot beverage/soup person), but I was really impressed with this recipe. I had a big bowlful for lunch yesterday when I was home sick and it really hit the spot.

Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Culinary Infatuation

5 medium yukon gold potatoes
1 stick of unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
1 medium yellow onion diced (about 1 cup)
3 cloves of garlic minced
6 cups 2 % or whole milk
2 cups half and half
3 Tbs. fresh basil or chives
1 tsp. fresh nutmeg grated
8 strips bacon chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp. freshly grated black pepper
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Wash potatoes and poke holes all over with a fork. Bake potatoes at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes until cooked completely through. Let cool.When potatoes are cooled, dice and put to the side(I leave the skin on).

Melt butter in a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute a minute longer. Add the flour and whisk until combined and smooth (about a minute).

Pour in milk, 2 cups at a time combining the roux until fully incorporated. Whisk in the half and half and nutmeg. Turn heat up to medium high and bring to a simmer. Let simmer gently for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While you are bringing the soup up to a simmer add bacon to a medium size skillet and cook until crispy (about 10 minutes).

Remove from heat or turn to low heat and add potatoes and basil. Use a masher and mash potatoes until soup becomes thick. (You can do this before hand in a processor, or mash in a separate bowl.)

When soup is the desired consistency; whisk in sour cream and cheese. Remove bacon from skillet with a slotted spoon and add to soup and serve.
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Yay I am glad you liked this! It's so delicious and decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, something you and Steve have in common. It's taken me quite a while to bring him around to soups. I LOVE soup.

    Baked potato soup is actually sitting right at the very top of my printed recipe list right now. I think our minds are on the same wavelength!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks perfect for a winter day and the colorful toppings are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Potato soup is great; you start with this blank canvas and add to it anything you heart desires. They are versatile enough to work with just about any other ingredient, yet they are tasty enough to stand on their own.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!