Sunday, December 07, 2008

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Chicken, Green Beans and Smashed Potatoes

I saw Rachael Ray make Bacon Wrapped Blue Cheese Stuffed Chicken, Green Beans and Smashed Potatoes awhile ago. I printed out the recipe but just hadn't gotten around to making it. Tonight seemed like a good night to try it since I had more time in the kitchen and the results:


... were sensational. We both cleaned our plates and probably could have had seconds. I ended up making a few modifications because SP is going through a no-blue-cheese phase. I've posted my modifications below. I really liked the way the bacon got crispy without burning:


This is a meal I will definitely be making again.

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Chicken, Green Beans and Smashed Potatoes
Modified from Rachael Ray

4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Black pepper
4 to 5 ounces blue cheese crumbles (I used 4 ounces cream cheese, softened)
A handful arugula leaves, chopped
A handful baby spinach leaves, chopped
4 slices bacon (I used 8 slices because the chicken breasts were large)
2 pounds baby potatoes, halved (I used regular potatoes cut into chunks)
Salt
1 pound green beans
2 vine tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced (I didn't make the beans this way)
Leaves from 4 fresh thyme sprigs (I didn't use)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided (I didn't use)
4 scallions, finely chopped, whites and greens (I didn't use)
1/4 cup chicken stock (I didn't use)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Using a small sharp knife cut into the thick end of the chicken and make an incision reaching 2/3 the way down the breast. Loosen up the incision with your fingers to make a hole. Combine the cream cheese with arugula and baby spinach, season with salt and pepper and stuff into the breasts. Wrap the breasts with the bacon tightly to cover the meat evenly. Place chicken on a nonstick baking sheet and roast 20 to 25 minutes until bacon is crispy and chicken is firm.

Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with water. (I added 6 cloves of garlic to the potatoes as well). Bring to a boil, season water with salt and cook potatoes 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and mash. (I used maybe 2 ounces cream cheese, 2 tablespoons butter, milk, salt and pepper).

Bring 1-inch water to a boil. Trim beans. Salt water and add beans. Simmer 5 minutes, drain and combine with tomatoes, thyme, 1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper. (I cooked the beans but didn't add the tomatoes, etc. I just seasoned them with a little butter, salt and pepper).
Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds delicious! I want to try this, but I will probably include your alteration since we're both not fans of blue cheese at all. Sorry to hear you're not in the Christmas mood - anything you'd like to talk about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were on the same brain waves yesterday. I thought for a minute we had made the same dinner. I made her chicken breasts stuffed with blue cheese, pecans and scallions wrapped in bacon with a mustard cream sauce. It was so good. I served mine with rice and green beans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - this looks great! I may have to try this since we both love bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! I definitely need to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look great HC, really great. I'm especially glad your hub is going through a no blue cheese phase and you modified it cause Steve hates blue cheese and there's no way I could use that. Glad to know that it turned out delicious with the substitution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie - I love blue cheese but I have to say, the cream cheese worked really well as a sub. If you want, send me an email. I'd be happy to talk about it. :)

    Judy - I like the sound of the recipe you made, although I'm not sure about the pecans. The mustard cream sauce sounds delicious!

    MessyJessy - Hehe...bacon rules!

    Amber - I love stuffing chicken breasts...keeps them moist and interesting. :)

    Melissa - The cream cheese works very well. I can't believe Steve hates blue cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The presentation and the way you cook it was fantastic! I definitely wanna try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No-blue-cheese-phase?

    What-the-hell-is-that-about?

    ReplyDelete
  9. private health - Thank you! You should try it...it was quite good.

    longhair - I have no idea. I wasn't really a fan of blue cheese for years but now that I'm totally into it he's decided to go off it for awhile. Eh. Men.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! This looks delicious! I'm going to have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks awesome! I stumbled across your blog today and was looking for a recipe for dinner tonight to surprise my Hubby with! This looks awesome and I know we are going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joelen - Stuffed chicken is my new favorite thing. :)

    Jessica Lynn - Hi and welcome. Thanks! I hope you guys enjoy it. As an aside, we share the same anniversary (although mine is five years earlier). :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is on my menu this week, one of only 3 meals I have to cook. I love company Christmas parties. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!