Monday, January 15, 2007

Sausage with Peppers and Onions

Tonight's dinner came to me in a dream. Maybe it was because I'd seen Giada make sausage sandwiches Saturday afternoon, but as I was laying in bed half awake Sunday morning I thought "sausage, peppers and onions with a tomato sauce over mashed potatoes."

I cooked sweet Italian sausage in a pan with some oil until they were golden brown and then removed them to a plate. To the pan I added the sliced green pepper and onion and covered it. Those steamed for about 10 minutes and then I added 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, salt, pepper and 1/2 a teaspoon dried oregano. I mixed that around and then added a 14.5-ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes that I'd pureed, along with some red pepper flakes. The sausages went back in and the whole thing simmered for about 15 more minutes.

I served the sausage mixture over mashed potatoes I made with about 4 cloves of garlic boiled along with the potatoes and then mashed together with salt, pepper, butter and some half and half. The potatoes were nice and garlicky, a perfect pairing with the sausage mixture which was sweet from the peppers and onions but also had a nice kick from the red pepper flakes.

We also had the rest of the salad from last night's dinner, along with the dressing my mom made.
Pin It!


  1. OMG!I love sausage wit p&o! Mom usually serves hers on Italian bread or with a side of linguine. I've never tried it with mashed potatoes...It looks really good though! :)

    Too bad I've been trying to cut red meat from my diet...your close up makes me consider giving up the red meat free diet. Ugh!


  2. My husband says it's the German/Polish in me that thinks to serve something like this over mashed potatoes instead of pasta. :)

    If you wanted to make this without eating red meat, you could always cook the peppers and onions in the tomato sauce and just leave out the sausage. I know it wouldn't be the same...

  3. I probably could find turkey sausage...but you're wouldn't be the same!
    It certainly is a feast for my eyes!



I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!