Saturday, November 11, 2006

Asian-Inspired Dinner

After a long day of packing and other moving-related chores, we decided to treat ourselves to a nice dinner:



... of seared tuna steaks and cold sesame noodles. I was going for sushi take-out, only without the hassle of rolling my own sushi.

The tuna was simply seasoned with salt, pepper and olive oil, seared quickly on both sides and cut into thin strips across the grain. Then I drizzled some soy sauce and chopped scallions over the slices.

The cold sesame noodles were our second (and probably last) attempt at Rachael Ray's recipe. I had very high hopes this time since the noodles looked so beautiful and shiny in the mixing bowl. Since they were too sesame-y last time, I used only 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and heaped on the peanut butter, but the noodles were still not peanut buttery enough. They were, however, very spicy from the two tablespoons of hot sauce the recipe called for. I also undercooked the noodles by about a minute, which didn't help matters.

So, the search continues for an excellent make-at-home version of cold sesame noodles.
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Mailed the fry daddy via fedex ground today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those noodles are one of my favorites RR recipes of all time! I am bummed they didn't turn out for you. At least other RR recipes have turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not just you. I've tried the sesame noodle recipe three times and gave up on it. It came out, by turns, too sesame-y, too spicy, and then just *wrong* in a way I couldn't put my finger on. If you ever find a good recipe, share please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. D - YAY! Thanks so much. The hubby has already requested fried chicken for the inaugural fry.

    Madeline - It's so strange...I remember making these another time and they tasted just like my favorite Chinese restaurant's cold sesame noodles. I don't know what went wrong these last two times. I've never had this problem with any other RR recipes.

    Elle - That's so funny...that's exactly what happened to us and in the same order (first too sesame-y, then too spicy). I did a search on the Food Network and it looks like there are a bunch of other recipes to try. I will definitely keep searching and post my results here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sure you tried the sesame noodles, served w/the seared tuna episode? Only calls for pinch cayenne, 1 t. sesame oil in the first place. My son gets the peanut butter part to his taste before adding to the noodles. His version is the best I've tasted; but you might try Tyler's Ultimate version. I did those; still not as good as my son's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan - the RR noodles I tried were whatever pops up when you search "cold sesame noodles" on the Food Network site. That recipe calls for a whole tablespoon of sesame oil.

    I'm planning to try RR's recipe one more time with some more tweaking and see how it goes. If that still doesn't work, I'm going to try Tyler's.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!