Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Meat and Potatoes

We bought a family pack of sirloin at the supermarket for the kabobs we made on Sunday so tonight we decided to grill the other steak. He rubbed the steak with just a smidge of cumin, salt, and pepper:


Since we're coming up on the end of Jersey tomato season I served sliced tomatoes with a pinch of salt and pepper:


... as well as some green beans:


... and mashed potatoes made with my new treat, Plugra:


I'd heard about this butter on various sites and in other blogs and my darling husband was kind enough to buy me a brick when he went shopping this week. When I was mashing the potatoes the smell of pure butter wafted through the entire kitchen. And the resulting potatoes were some of the best I've ever tasted. I'm planning to buy a loaf of good, crusty bread and just have that and some of the Plugra as a snack over the weekend.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, your food looks majorly delicious! And butter makes ALL the difference with mashed potatoes! I mash mine with a spoonful of butter and a splash of milk and they taste awesome. None of this cream added - that just adds fat and I don't think it makes it taste any better or worse.

    Yuuum, those tomatoes are so bright and delicious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tomatoes look so fresh and vivid, I can practically smell them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why use the bread? You could slice some Parmesan or some super sharp cheddar and then put a slice of butter on that...that would be awesome. There is this place outside of Arlington, VT called "The Cheese House" and they have this cheese called "The old Truck Driver", which is absolutely the sharpest cheddar I've ever eaten, and it was absolutely wonderful with a slice of butter on a Triscuit. No wonder I'm the size I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie - these were some amazing mashed potatoes. And the tomatoes were also fantastic.

    JoJo - they were amazing! Seriously some of the best tomatoes I've had this season. I was just telling a coworker that I'm craving a mozzarella, tomato and basil salad.

    longhairman - I have a serious hankering for crusty bread, although your idea of butter and sharp cheddar sounds intriguing. And I love the sound of "The Old Truck Driver."

    Next time you visit we have to do a more in-depth cheese tasting. There are so many good ones out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm those spuds look great- nice and loose, just the way I like them.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!