Saturday, September 06, 2008

Grilled Pizza Friday

When I was at my parent's house last weekend SP experimented with grilled pizza. He said it went so well we decided to try it this weekend for Pizza Friday. We kept it simple with a basic mozzarella, tomato and basil pizza.


Since grilled pizza (especially on a charcoal grill) is a quick process, I got all the ingredients together before we started cooking:


I wanted slices of fresh tomato on my pizza and we used basil from the garden and fresh, milky mozzarella. I also made a quick tomato sauce using two jars of tomatoes my mom and I canned last summer. I also divided the dough into four pieces and rolled them out nice and thin.


We started by grilling the dough until it was partially cooked and starting to char, then removed each piece to a plate so we could build the pizzas:


I spread a thin layer of sauce over each piece of dough, then scattered some basil leaves and pieces of fresh mozzarella:


On one pizza I put the slices of tomato:


... and then we put the pizzas back on the grill and covered it to melt the cheese and finish cooking the dough.


Our grill is on the small side so we could only cook one pizza at a time. By the time the last pizza was cooked I'd run out of daylight to photograph with.


We loved the grilled flavor of the pizza. It's a totally different flavor then regular pizza.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. I need to squeeze in some more grilling before it gets too cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joelen - I know! I feel like I need to fit in so many things before the weather changes for good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i was allowed to have a grill, but living in a condo with a balcony doesn't allow that!

    anyway-- if i had a grill I'd be grilling all year long no matter what the weather is. You don't have to stand out there waiting for everything to grill! (My dad grills all year long) =)

    and the pizza does look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin - Oh, we definitely grill all year long, but it isn't as frequent in the winter months, especially for something like pizza where you do need to stay out there the whole time to keep the dough from burning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmmm You've reminded me that I've been wanting to try making pizza on the grill!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!