Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bacon 'n' Egg Quesadilla

I saw this recipe in the October issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray. It looked so good I decided to try it for breakfast.


I left out the black beans since neither of us is a fan and the avocado mash because I forgot to put it on the shopping list. For the quesadillas I used a combo of Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses. I also chopped up some grape tomatoes from my garden and mixed them with minced red onion, cilantro and lemon juice for a fresh salasa, which we had in addition to some sour cream.

I absolutely loved these quesadillas. They're basically a breakfast sandwich in a different package. You usually you see scrambled eggs in breakfast quesadillas, but these were made with fried so the beautiful bursty yolks made a sauce with the sour cream and tomatoes. The cheese and bacon were fantastic as well. I will definitely make these again.

Bacon 'n' Egg Quesadilla
Everyday with Rachael Ray

8 medium flour tortillas
2 hass avocados
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper
1/2 pound bacon
8 large eggs
8 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
1 15 1/2 ounce can black beans, rinsed

Place the tortillas in the oven in two stacks; heat to 200 degrees . In a bowl, mash the avocados with the lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.

Working in batches, in a nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels. Leave about 2 tablespoons bacon fat in the skillet, reserving the rest of the fat. Cut the bacon strips in half.

Working in 2 batches, in the skillet, cook the eggs over easy; transfer to a platter. Reserve the skillet.

Lay the tortillas on a work surface. Sprinkle each with 1/4 cup cheese; top with beans, 1 egg and bacon strips, then fold to enclose.

In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon reserved bacon fat over medium heat, add 4 quesadillas and cook, turning once, until crisp and golden, about 3 minutes. Repeat with more bacon fat and the remaining quesadillas; serve with the avocado mash.

Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering like mad. I like the idea of doing this with fried eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for breakfast! Looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love quesadillas! this is a great idea to make into a breakfast sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great. I'm so trying this one.

    www.cheapcookinmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that's novel. And another perfect breakfast from you. This was another one too where Steve was walking by and said "what's THAT?" :P Always a good sign for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks very nice. I'll be sure to try this one out next weekend. (I only manage to cook/eat breakfast during the weekends).

    Quesadillas rock! ;)

    // Mike
    http://www.freestylecookery.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy would my husband love this! Maybe I will surprise him with it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chubbypands - The fried eggs definitely make this special.

    Mary Ellen - It was SO good!

    Patsyk - I think it's a great twist on a typical breakfast sandwich.

    Janine - I definitely recommend it!

    Melissa - Oooh...if it catches Steve's interest I expect I'll be seeing it soon. :) Definitely make it with avocado/guacamole!

    Swedish Mike - I hear you on only having breakfast on the weekends. That's why I try to make fun new things. And yes, quesadillas definitely rock!

    Meg - I'm sure it'll be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delish! I get the magazine but must have overlooked this recipe. I'm going back to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle - It's one of the recipes in the pull-out weekly menu section. I want to say it's Thursday's dinner. Hopefully the website will be updated soon so I can link to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just spent the entire night going through your site... you're pretty amazing. just wanted to tell you that :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks really good! I'm not a huge fan of eggs so I'd probably substitute something else for them, but the rest of it looks really delicious. I like the salsa - it sounds quick and easy too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julie - Wow! Thank you so much. :)

    Katie - Not a huge fan of eggs!? How is this possible? :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julie sounds like me when I first found you. I swear I looked at about 75% of your archives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made these too, just the other night. But I kept the ingredients as written. They were good, I was surprised, but what isn't good with bacon?

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!