Sunday, November 09, 2008

Mini Thanksgiving Dinner

Just look at this gorgeous plate:


No, it's not the fourth Thursday in November, but this is a Thanksgiving meal. Our friends C & D came over for a pre-Thanksgiving meal to get us ready for the big day in a few weeks. We split the menu so neither of us was cooking the whole meal. D made the turkey:


...which he carved before bringing it over to make reheating it easier. He told us he rubbed the turkey with a bunch of seasonings and then cooked it at high heat to seal in the juices and brown the skin and then finished it low and slow to keep it moist, basting it with apple cider along the way. It was sensational - moist, tender and very flavorful. He also made the stuffing:


... and the gravy:


I was in charge of sides, including a fresh take on green bean casserole:


... where everything was fresh instead of canned. Green bean casserole isn't a staple on our holiday table, but I've been interested in trying a fresh version and this didn't disappoint. Even D, who isn't a fan of green bean casserole, had two huge helpings. I also did mashed potatoes:


... roasted sweet potatoes:


... two kinds of cranberry sauce (jellied and jellied with whole fruit):


... and SP's famous biscuits:


I actually made this batch of biscuits since SP had been cleaning the house all day and didn't want to get any chemical residue in the dough. He walked me through each step and the biscuits were really good, with a nice tang from the buttermilk. C & D were also in charge of dessert, and C made a double chocolate cake:


She even made chocolate leaves to go on top of the cake. It was decadent and very good. After all this food we needed a long walk around the neighborhood. I think we're all sufficiently ready for Turkey Day on the 27th.
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. After reading your post I think I'm ready now too!! Everything sounded so yummy. I'm not a fan of Green Bean casserole either but this one actually sounds good. I may try it. I really haven't decided on the vegetable yet. I like the idea it can be made ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a lovely meal! I've had different variations of the green bean casserole. Some I've liked. I'm just not a big fan of using the cream soups if I can avoid them. Thanks for posting about this new version! I'd definitely like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to do a "test run" before Thanksgiving! Everything looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What a great idea! Everything looks fabulous and it's totally getting me more pumped for TG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this looks great! And what a good idea to do a meal like this without the stress of the actual holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful! I want to eat that entire bowl of stuffing. I live for that stuff at Thanksgiving.

    Nice take on the green bean casserole too. My friend did it fresh last year too and it was quite a surprise.

    Hey, if you get a chance will you email me the recipe for SP's biscuits? I know you must have posted it before, but I don't know where.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a feast! Everything looks wonderful! I love the leaves on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just luv a Thankgiving dinner on anyday! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When are you two coming to the ATL?

    Bring a turkey when you do :)

    Who am I kidding? What kind of host would I be...bring your appetites :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy - I've never been a fan of green bean casserole either, but this is really quite good. I saw another recipe once where you make your own fried onions - it might try that next time just so everything is fresh.

    Jodi - Thanks! If you try this version let me know. :)

    Patsyk - Thanks! It was a lot of fun to see our friends and do a mini Thanksgiving.

    Katie - Ha! I know, right? It's my absolutely favorite food holiday.

    Colleen - It was great! No stress at all, just a great meal!

    Melissa - Hehe. I love stuffing too. The fresh green bean casserole was quite good. Even I was surprised.

    Maria - Definitely a feast. :)

    Pug1 - Thank you!

    longhair - Sigh...hopefully we can get down to you guys soon. So much to do, so little time and money.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!