Saturday, October 25, 2008

Pumpkin Cupcakes

Look what I made:


Yes, it's a cupcake. And I made it from scratch. Even the frosting. Go me! I wonder how long I can claim not to be a baker...

I had a lot of pumpkin leftover from the pumpkin roll I made last weekend, so when my mom asked me to bring dessert for dinner tonight I asked my cooking board for recommendations for pumpking cupcakes. Here they are hot out of the oven:


While the cupcakes cooled I made the cream cheese frosting:


After the cupcakes cooled completely:


... I frosted them with a liberal amount of the cream cheese frosting:


Yum! They smelled fantastic while they were baking, but I haven't tried them yet because I don't want to spoil my dinner.

I ended up combining two of the recipes recommended by my cooking board since I didn't want to buy anything I didn't already have on hand.

Spiced Pumpkin Cupcakes
Recipe from Annie's Eats

2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 can (15 oz.) solid-packed pumpkin (about 1 ¾ cups)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup canola oil
4 eggs

Preheat an oven to 350°F. Line muffin tins with decorative cupcake papers.

In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, granulated sugar, brown sugar and oil. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking after each addition.

Add the flour mixture in three additions, stirring with a large wooden spoon until just combined. Fill the muffin tins about three-fourths full. Bake until the cupcakes are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the tins to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes from the tins and let cool completely.

Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe from Sherri

4 oz. unsalted butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla
5 cups confectioner's sugar

Cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add vanilla and beat. Add sugar one cup at a time and continue to beat an additional 5 minutes.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Look what you did!! You're definitely a baker now. I'm thinking I'll try brownies next, but cupcakes don't seem like a bad idea either. Way to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look fab, especially the frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet these taste amazing, they look so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Note to self: STOP LOOKING AT THIS BLOG until diet is finished in less than 3 weeks. I think I'm going to have to steal your cream cheese icing recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa - Yay! Thanks! I love cupcakes and these were fantastic. I was so proud of myself.

    Alexx - Thank you!

    Amber - They taste great. Thanks!

    C Laz - LOL! Only three weeks to go! The frosting is delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!