Tuesday, April 08, 2008

South of the Border Casserole

I got this recipe from my buddy C Laz back in June 2007. It's hard to believe it's been almost a year since then. I kept meaning to make this since it sounded so good and I finally dug it out this week while looking for a ground beef recipe. I figured I'd better make it now before the weather changes.


I modified the recipe slightly by using bowties instead of ziti or penne since I already had half a box that needed to be used up. I also seasoned the mixture with salt and pepper a few times, which the recipe doesn't say to do, and I chopped some cilantro to sprinkle over the top. Overall I really liked this. It had a good kick from the chili powder and jalapeno, and I loved the creaminess from the sour cream. I'm glad I finally got around to making this - thanks C Laz!

South of the Border Casserole

1 pound of lean ground beef
1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed from half, minced
1 large bell pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
28 ounce can of whole tomatoes (fire roasted tomatoes, if you can find them)
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons of cumin
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups sour cream
8 oz penne, ziti or any small pasta
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup cilantro, minced

In a large deep skillet, brown meat until no longer pink. Drain fat, if necessary. Add the olive oil, peppers, onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook on medium-high heat. Saute until softened, about 8-10 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin. Add the can of tomatoes, breaking up the whole tomatoes with a spoon, but still leaving big chunks. Add sour cream, stir until mixed. Add pasta. Cover and cook until pasta is al dente, about 25 minutes. Make sure to stir frequently so the pasta doesn't get stuck to the bottom. Serve with the cheddar cheese and cilantro sprinkled on top.
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I'm so glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmm! I look forward to trying this (with whatever I have available in the pantry, lol). I love anything I don't have to go to the store to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. C Laz - Definitely a winner in our house!

    Snooty - I love pantry cooking. I hope your family likes it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! That looks good! A very appetizing blog you have here!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds good. I will be trying it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one looks good. I will put it in my files too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regina - Thanks! I'm glad you stopped by. :)

    Test Kitchen - It's really yummy and one-pot meals are always a plus.

    Jenny - Let me know if you try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this over the weekend and it was a hit! Very good flavors and so quick and easy to make. The leftovers are even better. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!