Wednesday, April 30, 2014

April Re-Make Recap

Has this been a crazy "spring" or what? I put spring in quotes because the weather lately doesn't seem very springlike. I'm writing this post on April 29 and it's rainy, cold and windy. Oh wait, maybe that IS spring and we've just been spoiled by recent years when spring meant sunny skies and warmer weather.

But enough about the weather, let's talk about April. It was another great month. We celebrated my mom's birthday, went to a ridiculous number of birthday parties for school friends, enjoyed hunting for Easter eggs and had a fantastic adult weekend while Baby Girl had a sleepover at my parent's house. We also ate very well, as usual.

No recipe recap would be complete without these TRH salads. Are you getting tired of seeing them? We're not getting tired of eating them, that's for sure. I think Baby Girl truly believes this is what "salad" means. When she sees salad on a menu she assumes it's this one.


I really should have snapped a picture of this cauliflower bacon mac and cheese. All I did was swap out the broccoli for cauliflower but it's like an entirely new recipe. So delicious.


I had some leftover cooked pork tenderloin in the freezer and rice noodles in the pantry so I had to remake this hoisin pork with rice noodles. It was just as good as we remembered.

Untitled

We finally introduced my parents to taco rice one Sunday. It's a staple at our house and, thankfully, they loved it.

Taco Rice

Speaking of salad, I got it in my head that I wanted to make spinach salad with warm bacon dressing. Baby Girl surprised me recently by eating fresh spinach (she's still not a fan of it once it's cooked) so I couldn't wait for her to try this. She was a big fan.



I can't get enough of this chocolate pudding. I remade it for Sunday dinner one week and we were all licking the ramekins. It's so easy and so flavorful. I foresee a lot of this pudding this summer, although Baby Girl really wants me to try vanilla pudding. I just need to find a good recipe.

Untitled

I saw this cucumber and avocado tartine at the bottom of one of my posts recently and immediately wrote down the ingredients so I could make it for lunch during the week. What's not to love about creamy avocado, crispy cucumber and tangy dressing on a crunchy roll?

tartine

One day when it wasn't cold and rainy we had a cookout with my parents. I made this creamy macaroni salad. It's great because it's easy and low in calories since the dressing is made with Greek yogurt. Baby Girl loves this recipe - she ate a ton of it.



I can't let asparagus season pass by without making this spicy pork and asparagus stir fry again and again. I made a double batch recently so I'd have plenty of leftovers to freeze. I love pulling out the little parcels to eat with angel hair or spaghetti.



I've been craving fish lately so, of course, I made tilapia francese. There's just something about the meaty fish with the lemony sauce and crispy coating that works so well.



I've been making this california club chopped salad with feta recently because I keep ending up with half-full containers of feta in my fridge. I prefer it with the blue cheese but feta works well, too.

club salad

And speaking of feta, I was all set to use the last little bit of it in this asparagus with tomato and feta for Easter but it had expired. So, we had just the tomatoes and shallot. It was still delicious. I like the brightness the tomatoes add to the roasted asparagus.



I've been meaning to remake this bowties with sausage, tomato and cream for ages and finally remembered I had a pound of Italian sausage in the freezer. Man, is this a great recipe. So flavorful and delicious with so few ingredients.

Untitled

Baby Girl recently started swimming class on Wednesday nights, which means I need quick, easy meals. Since we had ham leftover from Easter I whipped up a batch of these sweet ham and swiss sliders.

Ham and Swiss Sliders

I should probably expand my tilapia repertoire, but I just love this crispy tilapia recipe. I can't get enough of that panko crunch.

crispy fish

I served the tilapia with leek and pea risotto to use up some leftover leeks. This time I removed the leeks from the pan rather than slow-cooking them so the leek flavor really came through.

leek and pea risotto2

We had my mother-in-law over for dinner recently. She asked for penne and meatballs, so SP asked me to make weeknight spaghetti and meatballs with penne instead of spaghetti. I have to say, I enjoyed the penne more than the spaghetti. It was easier for us to eat, especially Baby Girl.

penne with meatballs
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. The spinach salad with bacon dressing looks fantastic! I gotta try that.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!