Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Weeknight Spaghetti and Meatballs


One of the only magazines I continue to subscribe to is Cook's Country. I love their recipes but the real reason is they don't make their content available on their website. That irks me quite a bit, but it's a good move on their part since it forces folks to buy their magazine. SP was looking through the most recent issue and came across this one for Weeknight Spaghetti and Meatballs. He's a big spaghetti and meatballs fan but he also thought it would be great because it's a one-pot meal. Score!


This couldn't have been easier to make. SP wished there had been more spaghetti and less meatballs, so I need to figure out how to make that work next time. I felt like the meatballs needed more seasoning than just the garlic, so I added salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. I had the meatballs rolled in about 10 minutes and put them in the fridge to stay cold until I was ready to cook. I think that was a good step because the meatballs held together perfectly while cooking, so I modified the recipe below.


Baby Girl absolutely loved this dish. She had thirds of the spaghetti (don't you love that toddlers call spaghetti "pasketti?") and we already know how much she loves meatballs and these were no exception. She was covered from head to toe in red sauce, which made for some adorable pictures.

I'll be making this often, especially in the fall and winter.

UPDATE April 2014 - I remade this using penne and it was even better than the spaghetti. Same process, just a different pasta shape.

Untitled

Weeknight Spaghetti and Meatballs
Slightly Modified from Cook's Country

1 pound meatloaf mix (ground beef, pork and veal)
1/3 cup panko
1 large egg, lightly beaten
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 cups water
8 ounces spaghetti, broken in half
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
Grated cheese for serving

Combine meat, panko, egg, half the garlic, Italian seasoning and some salt and pepper in a bowl and knead gently until combined. Form meat into 48 meatballs, about 1-inch around. Refrigerate for 20 minutes to firm up the meat.

Heat oil in a large, 12-inch non-stick skillet with high sides over medium heat until just smoking. Cook meatballs until well browned all over, about 5 minutes. Transfer meatballs to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain fat from the skillet.

Add 1 tablespoon oil to the now-empty skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, water, pasta, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until pasta begins to soften, about 7 minutes.

Return meatballs to the skillet and simmer, covered, until meatballs are cooked through and pasta is al dente, about 5 minutes. Off heat, stir in basil. Serve with grated cheese.

Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. Great pics! Love how this is a one-pot meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was really happy with how they came out. I love one-pot meals. :)

      Delete
  2. This looks so easy for a weeknight. My only question: what is meatloaf mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meatloaf mix is a mix of ground beef, pork and veal. A lot of supermarkets seem to package it as meatloaf of meatball mix. I changed the ingredient list to be more specific.

      Delete
  3. Sarah that looks awesome! I love meatballs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are INCREDIBLE - makes me want to dive right in. Beautiful job lady.
    Sounds delicious too (even though it is pasta *wink*!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hon! I'm really proud of how these photos turned out. Nothing stellar but pretty good for me. :)

      Delete
  5. OMG - this looks delicious, no wonder Baby Girl had three servings!!! And I am not a fan of red sauce, so that's saying something... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious and perfect for a weeknight. Also, I have to tell you - your pictures look FANTASTIC! Really beautiful job here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything that cooks in one pot is a winner in my book. :) And thank you for the compliments on the photos. I was really happy with how they turned out. I'm not able to do any real staging for my photos (lack of space and time) but when I have natural light I can get some decent shots on my trust patio table.

      Delete
  7. This looks like the perfect weeknight meal. Thanks for posting; Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an awesome weeknight meal. I can't wait to make it again.

      Delete
  8. I made this the other night when I saw it on cooks country.com. My noodles took double the time to cook and because of this I didn't like the taste too much. Did you have the same problem with your nododles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My spaghetti cooked in the right amount of time. Did you use something like whole wheat or low-carb pasta by any chance? I think that could have affected the cooking time. :(

      Delete
  9. The pictures are amazing. This dish really looks so delicious and knowing that this is just a “one-pot” dish makes it even better! Thank you for sharing this post, we are actually having a simple outdoor picnic one of these days and I guess this will be a very great meal to cook! I am pinning this already!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!