Monday, April 25, 2011

Spicy Pork and Asparagus Stir Fry

Brianna over at Oishii recently posted this recipe for Spicy Pork with Asparagus and Chile. It looked great and was a departure from our usual meals so I put it on this week's menu. The same day I was planning to make it someone posted about it on my cooking board, prompting a discussion about the dish. As it turns out, the recipe (which came from Bon Appetit) lacked a little something according to those who had made it. Suggestions were thrown out about how to make it better so I ended up modifying the recipe.


The result was really good. I don't usually cook with ground pork and I liked the flavor, plus now that asparagus was in season I was happy for an excuse to use it.

UPDATE July 2013 - I recently realized that I no longer use the recipe as it was originally written and it was time to update this post. I've been using my friend Melissa's modified version of this recipe ever since she posted it. It's simply perfect - spicy and flavorful and just the right amount of sauce. I usually serve it over rice but I had some leftover pork and asparagus in the freezer recently and served it over angel hair, which was amazing.

spicypork

Spicy Pork and Asparagus Stir Fry
As seen on Alosha's Kitchen, modified from Bon Appetit

2 tablespoons + 1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
1 pound thin asparagus spears, trimmed, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces
2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Sriracha chile garlic sauce
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1 tablespoon honey
4 scallions, sliced

Whisk 2 tablespoons soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and cornstarch in medium bowl. Add pork and mix lightly to blend.

Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in heavy large wok (or deep skillet) over high heat. Add asparagus, Sriracha, ginger and garlic. Toss until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer asparagus to a bowl and set aside.

Add remaining tablespoon sesame oil to wok. Add pork and stir-fry until browned, using spoon to break up pork into small pieces, about 4 minutes. Return asparagus to the pan, along with the remaining 1/4 cup soy sauce, oyster sauce, and honey. Stir-fry until pork is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add scallions; toss to incorporate.

Serve over rice or noodles.
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. YUM! This actually right up our alley. I have that issue of BA, but will make note that modifications are recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god. This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really good! I'll have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you did a good job of tweaking it! We appreciated this dish because it was something different to do with asparagus. You can only roast or grill it so many nights out of the week :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!