Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Buffalo Chicken Pizza

SP asked for Buffalo Chicken Pizza on Sunday, but nature conspired against us with one of the worst storms we've had this summer. I actually got a glimpse of what a hurricane might be like. Our neighborhood lost a lot of trees and a few homes had siding ripped off, but the main problem was the loss of power. We lost power around 1:30pm and didn't get it back until around 6pm, just long enough for us to give up on making dinner at home. We hadn't had a real breakfast or lunch since we were running errands, which meant we were starving by the time we got take-out at 4:30.


So...the buffalo chicken pizza had to wait until Monday.


I don't usually make pizza during the workweek, but as luck would have it I got to work from home Monday afternoon because we had no Internet at work after the storm fried our modem. This left plenty of time to make the pizza.


I did things a little different this time, but here's the basic recipe:

Buffalo Chicken Pizza
A Taste of Home Cooking Original

Pizza dough
1lb chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup Frank's hot sauce
1 tablespoon butter
2-3 scallions, chopped on a bias
Blue cheese crumbles or Marie's blue cheese dressing
Mozzarella cheese, shredded

Preheat the oven, with the pizza stone inside, to 550 degrees (or as high as your oven will go). This can be done up to an hour before you cook the pizza. Put the Frank's and butter in a small saucepan. Add the chicken and heat over medium until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken to a bowl with a slotted spoon, then boil the Frank's. Pour over the chicken and let cool.

Roll out the dough and place on a sheet of parchment paper large enough to hold the pizza, with a little extra so you have something to hold onto when you move the pizza to the stone. Top with a little mozzarella cheese. Add the blue cheese or Marie's, spread into a thin layer. Scatter a few scallions on top. Using a slotted spoon add the chicken, being careful not to put on too much of the Frank's (it will get soggy/greasy). Add just a few dashes of the Frank's here and there on the pizza, then top with more mozzarella cheese and the remaining scallions.

Remove the stone from the oven (I usually put it on the stovetop). Holding on to either side of the parchment paper, move the pizza on the stone. Put the stone back in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese starts to brown in spots. Remove the pizza from the stone and let cool slightly before cutting.
Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. Mmmm...we love the buffalo chicken dip. I am sure it is fabulous as pizza, too! We're making this next week, now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. buffalo wings are my weakness and this looks soooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome! I hadn't thought to do buffalo chicken on pizza! Great idea, can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks GOOD. I've said it before, but you've evolved into quite the pizza maker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pizza looks perfect! Mine never come out perfectly round or evenly topped. Buffalo chicken sounds like a great topping too. I'll have to give it a try some time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa - I hope you enjoyed the pizza!

    Joelen - We love wings as well and this is a great way to enjoy the same flavors.

    Stephanie - It's super yummy as a pizza. :)

    Melissa - Thank you! I was so proud of myself this Friday when I made two pizzas at the same time. They both came out beautifully!

    Gaga - It took me a lot of practicing to get pizzas that look this good. If you go back in my blog you'll see my early pizzas were all misshapen. Just keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, this looks amazing. My husband will love this! I can't wait to give it a try. Do you have a preferred pizza dough you use?

    comforttable.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kitchenbelle - I buy my dough from an Italian bakery near my house. I think any dough from a pizza parlor will do. I wouldn't use the dough you buy in the refrigerator section of the supermarket, but that's a personal preference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am making your pizza tonight! Sounds so amazing! Feel free to check it out on my blog later tonight. www.carrotsncake.com

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!