Friday, December 06, 2013

Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Burritos

I've had my eye on Melissa's Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Burritos forever. I think the thing keeping me from making them was that she uses fresh, uncooked chorizo and I knew my supermarket only carried the fully cooked variety. In retrospect that seems like a silly reason to put off making them, but there you have it.

chorizo burritos

One recent Sunday Baby Girl and I spent a few hours together in the kitchen making these burritos and a batch of the sausage and spinach egg bake. I love having these easy breakfasts stored in the freezer for those mornings when I don't feel like cooking eggs (my go-to breakfast item).

Since my chorizo was already cooked I just chopped the links into small pieces and cooked them in the pan for a few minutes to crisp them up a bit. Using fully cooked sausage vs. fresh means there was a less even distribution of chorizo, but I enjoyed the bigger pieces of chorizo when I came across them in my burrito.

As for the recommendation to reheat these on a paper towel - do NOT forget that step. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of the paper towel trick earlier. I've reheated many a soggy breakfast burrito but these are perfect right out of the freezer. I can't wait to try some other fillings.

Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Burritos
As seen on Alosha's Kitchen

8 ounces chorizo
8 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
8 flour tortillas (large taco or fajitas size)

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chorizo and let it sizzle for about 5 minutes or until cooked through (my homemade version releases quite a bit of liquid, but it all cooks up in the end).

Push the chorizo to one side of the pan and pour in the eggs. Let the eggs sit for a few minutes, then stir to combine with chorizo. Continue to stir together until eggs are completely cooked. Remove from the heat and top with the cheese.

Set up the egg pan next to your stack of tortillas.

Divide the chorizo and egg mixture into 8 sections. Place 1/8 on the bottom half of one tortilla. Fold one vertical side in, then the other, then roll and tuck in the sides. Place seam-side down on a baking sheet or plate. Repeat with until all the mixture and tortillas have been used.

Wrap each burrito in plastic wrap and store them in a Ziploc freezer bag.

To reheat, place a frozen burrito on a paper towel and microwave on high for 1 minute. Test to see if it's done, adding another 30 seconds if needed. Cook time will depend on your microwave's power.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!