Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Beefed Up Biscuits, Turkey-Style

I first made Beefed Up Biscuits in December and while we both liked the flavor (kind of like chili and cornbread) we thought it was missing something. As I was making the menu for this week I came across the recipe and SP suggested I use ground turkey instead of beef. Such a simple substitution turned out to be the key to elevating this dish from good to excellent.


I used the same recipe as last time, substituting about a pound and a third of ground turkey for the ground beef. I also increased the amount of cumin to 2 tablespoons (we really like cumin) and added a dash of cayenne pepper to kick up the spice level. As always, it's a good idea to taste the mixture to determine whether you think it needs more of something - I tweaked this a few times before deciding it was perfect.

Just like last time I made the filling yesterday to save time tonight. But instead of baking the biscuits and meat mixture together, I baked the biscuits alone on a baking sheet. After I seperated the biscuits (we bought a can of 8 large flaky biscuits), I topped each with some grated cheddar cheese. What started as a way to save even more time (there was traffic coming home and I didn't walk in the door until 7:40 and Gilmore Girls is on at 8) turned out to be a revelation. The dish works much better this way because the biscuits get nice and crispy and the cheddar bakes beautifully into the top of the biscuits. Add a dollop of sour cream and you've got a real winner. It took all of my will power not to eat another helping.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!