Friday, December 27, 2013

Restaurant Knockoff - Stonefire Grill BBQ Chopped Salad

Have you guys heard of Stonefire Grill? They've got locations throughout Southern California. I've never been to one but the day we flew to the West coast for Thanksgiving my stepmom got one of their salads for us for dinner. She tossed it all in a big bowl and, to look at it, it looked like a regular old salad. In fact, I didn't even try any of it at first because there was other stuff to eat. But my sister-in-law kept raving about how good it was so I made myself a small bowl. And then another and another, unable to comprehend how such ordinary ingredients could come together into something so amazing.

stonefire grill bbq chopped salad

I went online to see if anyone had tried to recreate the Stonefire Grill BBQ Chopped Salad at home. Lo and behold, someone did. I finally got around to putting it on the menu and all I can say is wow.

stonefire grill bbg chopped salad2

This recipe is pretty much spot-on. Which is great because we live in PA and don't get out to CA very often. Now I can enjoy this salad whenever I want.

Stonefire Grill BBQ Chopped Salad
As seen on Come Fly with Me

1/2 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
1/2 head romaine lettuce, chopped
1 cup black beans
3 ears fresh corn, cooked and corn kernels removed (or 1 cup frozen)
3/4 cup chopped red cabbage (I left this out)
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 large tomato, chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken, tossed with BBQ sauce
3 tablespoons green onions, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 cup crumbled tortilla chips/strips
1 cup bottled ranch dressing
2-3 tablespoons bottled BBQ sauce, to taste

Fill a salad bowl with a mixture of chopped lettuces. Place the beans, corn, cabbage, carrots, cheese, and tomato in sections on top of the lettuce. Pile the chicken in the center. Sprinkle with green onions, cilantro and tortilla chips.

Combine the ranch dressing and BBQ sauce. Toss with the salad and serve.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!