Wednesday, September 06, 2006

An Old Standby

Tonight we had an old family favorite - pierogies with bacon and onions and broccoli with cheddar cheese. I did a whole how-to of this meal here. Next to spaghetti carbonara, this is one of my all-time favorite dinners. And leftovers for lunch always make me excited to go to work.



As an aside, I don't think I will ever understand why this combination of flavors works so well. I know anything coated with a sheen of bacon fat is invariably going to taste magnificent, but what I don't get is why the combination of bacon, onions, sour cream, broccoli and cheddar cheese works so well together. The time I made broccoli with cheddar cheese to go with Sticky Chicken was a total flavor disaster. They just didn't mesh well. I told SP I think it's the sour cream that really brings everything together. Whatever the reason, I'm only making broccoli with cheddar when I make pierogies. They were just meant to be together.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!