Monday, August 28, 2006

Sticky Chicken



Tonight I made my buddy D's recipe for Sticky Chicken. She and her wife had raved about the recipe when D made it last week, so I gave it a whirl. All I can say is WOW! The sauce is super simple (only 4 ingredients) but the flavor is amazing. Tangy, tart, salty, sweet...it hits all the taste buds. I served the chicken with white rice and steamed broccoli with cheddar cheese (the broccoli I always make with pierogies). Just as I suspected, the broccoli was nowhere near as good as it is when I pair it with the pierogies. I must make a mental note to pick up another bag of pierogies from the wholesale club.

Since I'm a sauce fiend, I was happy to see how much sauce this recipe made. I could eat just the sauce with some white rice and be very happy. In fact, there was only a small piece of chicken left for lunch tomorrow, so most of my lunch is rice, sauce and broccoli. I'm already looking forward to it!

Thanks, D!

Sticky Chicken
Serves 4

1 cut-up chicken, 2 1/2 to 3 lbs (I used 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
1/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup ketchup

Preheat oven to 375.

Wash and dry chicken and cut off any excess fat. Place chicken in a 9" x 13" baking pan that has been sprayed with nonstick vegetable oil. Combine all the remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes (I cooked the boneless breasts for 15 minutes) and then uncover and bake for an additional 40 minutes (I did 20), basting halfway through.
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Yeah! I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really surprised by the flavors. Very impressive. And definitely a good last-minute meal for us since we always have all the ingredients on hand.

    Did you see the times I used for boneless breasts? They were perfectly moist, but still fully cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the flavors were surprisingly good for something so simple.

    That is great about the times, I will definitely make note of it in my cookbook.

    Do you keep a recipe box of recipes you pick up off the Internet/in mags?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I upped the temp for the oven to 375 in an effort to help the cooking go faster. Seemed to work well.

    I don't have a recipe box. I once tried to organize all my recipes into a binder, but I never got around to buying the binder. Now my most used recipes are just sheets of paper tucked in a bookcase on top of my cooking mags. One day when I have some time, I'm going to organize them all.

    Hey...did you see my comment about the guac in the Breakfast Sandwich thread from yesterday? You can (and should) make guac withOUT tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use this recipe as a marinade for flank steak! It is absolutely delish! I am definitely going to try this on chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh...flank steak. That sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this last night and M Laz raved! He loved the marinade, and demanded all the "goop" as he called it to be put on the LO's for lunch today. I unfortunately had a touch of the stomach bug so I just stuck with plain rice. It looked so yummy tho!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!