Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Spaghetti all'Amatriciana

And so begins three months of making tasty, filling meals on a budget. Tonight was Spaghetti all'Amatriciana:



...a wonderful combination of bacon, onions, garlic, red pepper flakes and crushed tomatoes blended into a thick sauce, served over long strands of spaghetti with a dusting of grated Pecorino. To make the pound of pasta stretch farther, I also chopped some hearts of Romaine for a simple salad. I dressed mine with Caesar vinaigrette; SP had his with blue cheese. If I had remembered to buy a baguette at the supermarket I would have made some cheesy garlic bread to go alongside.

Looks like we're off to a good start. A dish made entirely of items I always keep on hand.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I made this and it was delicious with leftovers all week!
    My only complaint about how I made it is that the sauce thinned and was rather tasteless after a day or so. Maybe I should've used more bacon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem with leftover pasta and sauce is that the pasta continues to absorb the sauce as the two sit together. What you end up with is gummy pasta that's dry from a lack of sauce.

    If you want leftovers I'd suggest dirtying another pan and tossing only some of the pasta with some of the sauce. Then store the leftovers separately.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!