Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Tacos

These Buffalo Chicken Tacos have been making their way around some of my favorite blogs lately and with good reason. If you love chicken wings chances are you love the flavors in other forms. My Buffalo Chicken Pizza is always a hit and although I've never tried it, I've heard amazing things about Buffalo Chicken Dip (aka Crack Dip).


These were fantastic. I knew we'd like them from the ingredients alone but I ended up absolutely loving them (and eating more tacos then I should have). I cut the spice a bit by omitting the cayenne pepper from the coating and mixing in a little butter with the Frank's hot sauce to cut it like I do when I make baked chicken wings. We had some Marie's blue cheese dressing in the fridge so I used that instead of Ranch dressing, but either would work. And my guilty admission is that I used about 1/4 cup vegetable oil to shallow fry the chicken. I just couldn't see how 1 tablespoon of olive oil was going to cut it. SP's only complaint was the lack of cheese. In his opinion, tacos need cheese. I added Monterey Jack to the ingredient list but leave it off if you don't share his opinion.

Make these soon! If you love buffalo chicken you will love these. I promise.

Buffalo Chicken Tacos
Mrs. Regueiro's Plate

1 pound chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/3 cup flour
3 tablespoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (omit if you don't like too much spice)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup Frank’s hot sauce
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/4 cup vegetable oil
10 6-inch tortillas

Toppings:
Shredded lettuce
Diced onions mixed with cilantro
Avocado slices
Ranch dressing
Green onions, sliced thinly
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.

In a large bowl, combine cornstarch, flour, cayenne (if using), and garlic powder. Dredge chicken in the flour mixture. You could also do what I did - put the flour, etc. in a plastic food storage bag, mix around then add the chicken. Seal the bag and toss to coat. No dredging required and everything is evenly coated, then you toss the bag for easy clean-up.

Add oil to the Dutch oven and once it gets hot, add chicken and cook on both sides – about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Once the chicken is done, drain on paper towels then toss in a bowl with Frank's and the melted butter.

Assemble tacos, dividing the toppings evenly among each taco.
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Yum! I make buffalo chicken wraps using franks, unsealed butter, shredded chicken & blue cheese. Soooo good. You must make the dip one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! These look delicious! I just made BBQ chicken tacos with a blue cheese slaw this wk. I bet that slaw would go great with these. I might try these for the super bowl.. or any other night for that matter. I have a buffalo obsession.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you finally got to try these! And tell SP that adding cheese is a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound and look delicious. I love buffalo anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!! So glad you enjoyed these! I'm making them for superbowl, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are yummy! Added some extra hot sauce and made it a wrap:) Fast,easy and cheap!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!