Don't forget to enter my 6th blogiversary GIVEAWAY before 11:59pm Thursday, August 9.
I still remember the first email I received from Jaida of Sweet Beginnings. This was before she started her food blog and she was emailing to ask my opinion on her new blog's layout. I had never spoken to her before and I was touched that she valued my opinion enough to send me an email. Since she was new to blogging I invited her to join the cooking board I frequented, which she did. She quickly became a regular poster and her blog grew. We got to know each other, became friends and now we talk multiple times a day. Hopefully we'll get a chance to meet in person someday soon.
When I was asked to do a guest post to celebrate the 6 year anniversary of A Taste of Home Cooking, I couldn’t have been more excited. After all, this is the blog that ultimately gave me the push to start my own food blog!
When deciding what recipe to make, I knew that choosing one of Sarah’s favorites was the only way to go. And, as I’m sure you’ve seen her mention several times over the past couple of months, the Bacon, Egg, and Asparagus Salad became her favorite as soon as she made it, and now frequents her menu plans.
After finally making it myself, I can see why!! It’s chock full of veggies, and the runny egg on top with the salty, crisp bacon and yummy vinaigrette on top makes for a great flavor palate and the perfect balance of textures. How can you go wrong with crisp-tender asparagus topped with runny eggs??? You can’t!
I consider myself very fortunate to have come across this blog and to now be able to call this wonderful lady my friend. Her blog has been an inspiration to me, and her friendship is invaluable. Congratulations on 6 amazing years, and here’s hoping for many more to come!!
For all of her other loyal readers, I second her love for this salad, and I recommend you make it very soon!!
Bacon, Egg, and Asparagus Salad
• 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
• 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
• 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• Salt and coarsely-ground black pepper
• 4 large eggs
• 1 bunch asparagus spears, preferably thick, trimmed
• 6 strips bacon
• 3 cups mixed salad greens, rinsed and dried
1. To make the vinaigrette, combine the mustard, vinegar, and oil in a small jar with a lid. Secure the lid tightly, shake until well-combined, and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. In a medium bowl, toss the asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper, and lay on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until just cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon until slightly crisp. Remove to a paper towels and allow the grease to drain off. When the bacon is cool, rough chop into bite-sized pieces.
4. Remove all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease from the skillet and return to the burner, still over medium heat. Cook the eggs to over-easy, making sure the yolks don’t break and are still runny.
5. Season the salad mix with salt and pepper, then toss it with about three quarters of the vinaigrette, and arrange in the center of the platter or your plates. Toss the asparagus with the remaining vinaigrette and lay the spears over the greens.
6. Remove the eggs from the skillet and lay them on top of the asparagus. Sprinkle the bacon pieces and over the salad and serve immediately.