Friday, April 29, 2011

Recipe Swap - Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp

Want to see what other recipes were made during the swap? Here is the link to the Asian Recipe Swap Roundup.

Asian was the theme for this week's recipe swap on my cooking board. I was thrilled to get this recipe for Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp from Lisa. We both love Thai food but I rarely make it at home.


We really enjoyed the flavors of this dish, which I served over basmati rice, but we agreed that it needed vegetables to round out the meal. Our favorite Thai restaurant serves their red curry with onion, peppers, asparagus (in season), green beans, and a few others I'm forgetting. I think the addition of those would really make this perfect. You can also serve the curry with any protein - chicken, beef, shrimp, tofu or just a ton of vegetables.

One note: I doubled the sauce recipe for two reasons - one because I didn't want to waste half a can of coconut milk and because we love eating rice with the extra sauce.


Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp
Modified from Skinny Taste

1 tablespoon oil
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 scallions, whites and greens separated, chopped
2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
2 big cloves garlic, minced
1 can coconut milk
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil on high heat. Pat shrimp dry, season with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Cook until they just turn pink, then remove to a plate. Reduce heat to medium-high, add more oil if the pan looks dry, then add scallion whites, red curry paste and garlic. Sauté one minute. Add coconut milk, and fish sauce and mix well. Simmer about 2-3 minutes, then return shrimp to the pan and coat with the sauce. Remove from heat, mix in scallion greens and cilantro. Serve over basmati rice.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I am not usually a huge fan of curry, but this dish looks A-MA-ZING!! And we love all sorts of Asian food, so I think we'll just have to try it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the combination of Coconut and Shrimp! and I'll be definitely be trying this. I have a recipe from my mama's kitchen is Coconut Shrimp in Colombian Sofrito and it is soooo simple and delicious. I'll gladly swap it with you soon! Thank you! Looks GOOD! cant wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!