Monday, March 21, 2011

Spicy Scallion and Brie Burgers

I love a good burger. This is nothing new if you've read my blog recently. Someone on my cooking board recently asked for burger recommendations and these Spicy Scallion and Brie Burgers were mentioned. I immediately put them on the menu for the following week. I love anything with Brie in it.


I left out the jalapeno in the scallion paste. It was still spicy from the cayenne and I figured that was enough heat for me. The Brie melted nicely and added a really nice flavor to the meat.

Spicy Scallion and Brie Burgers
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 ounces Brie, rind removed, cheese cut into 4 slices
1/4 cup Spicy Scallion Paste (recipe below)
Vegetable oil, for brushing
1/4 cup mayonnaise
4 hamburger buns, split
Tomato slices and lettuce, for serving

Light a grill. Season the ground beef with salt and pepper and form into eight 4-inch patties that are slightly thicker in the center. Top 4 of the patties with a slice of Brie and a scant tablespoon of the scallion paste. Top with the 4 remaining patties, pinching the edges to seal.

Brush the burgers with oil and grill over high heat, turning once or twice, about 8 minutes for medium-rare meat.

Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise with the remaining scallion paste. Grill the buns until toasted. Spread the mayonnaise on the bottoms of the buns and top with the burgers, tomatoes and lettuce. Close the burgers and serve.

Spicy Scallion Paste
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 fresh hot chile, seeded and minced
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a small bowl, combine the scallions with the garlic, chile, lemon zest and cayenne, mashing slightly with the back of a spoon. Stir in the olive oil and salt. The paste can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.

I served the burgers with oven fries:


I used a new recipe from Cook's Country and did a much better job getting them evenly brown. I'm still working on cutting the fries evenly.

Crispy Oven Fries
Cook's Country

4 russet potatoes (6 to 8 oz. each), peeled and cut into 1/2" slices
6 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt

Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450 degrees.

Place potatoes in a bowl, wrap tightly with plastic, and microwave until translucent around edges, 3 to 5 mins, shaking bowl half-way through to redistribute potatoes.

Transfer potatoes to cooling rack and thoroughly blot dry with paper towels. Coat rimmed baking sheet with 5 tablespoons of oil. Transfer to oven and heat until just smoking, 5 to 7 mins. Meanwhile, whisk remaining oil,cornstarch and salt in large bowl. Add potatoes and toss to coat.

Arrange in single layer on hot baking sheet and bake till deep, golden brown and crisp, 25 to 35 mins, flipping potatoes half-way through cooking time. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate and blot with additional paper towels.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a great meal. I love the recipe for the potatoes. I have never made fries like that. I'll give it a try. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, what a wonderful meal... I love both the burgers and the fries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The burger and fries look delicious! I have never added cornstarch to my homemade fries before, because I have never heard of that being done (not that I know much about making home fries), but I should be sure to give it a try next time.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!