Friday, March 18, 2011

Nutty Chicken Stir-Fry and Egg Drop Soup

I really wanted to like this recipe for Nutty Chickn Stir-Fry. It looked delicious and smelled even better, but the flavors just weren't there. I've yet to find a recipe for noodles or stir-fry involving peanut butter that really wows me. It never has enough peanut flavor for me.


It didn't help that the recipe failed to specify what type of stir-fry vegetables to use. The bag of Asian stir-fry veggies in my freezer didn't match the picture, so my guess is there's another mix that might be better suited for this dish. In the magazine where I first saw this recipe they pair it with Egg Drop Soup, so I did, too.


I'm pretty sure my chicken broth wasn't low-sodium but it might as well have been for the absolute absence of flavor. Even adding salt at the table did little to save this soup from flavor boredom. Maybe this is a sign that I need to just give up trying to cook Chinese food at home and stick with our favorite local take-out.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I'm almost always disappointed in homemade Chinese. For the effort it's almost never worth it. Keep trying though, I'll be watching! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. scmom - One of these days I'm going to try a recipe for Orange Chicken that I hear is amazing. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the ingredient you're missing is MSG. The egg drop soups that you find in restaurants usually always have MSG added to it. Then, before serving the soup, add a few drops of sesame oil. These 2 steps should help it taste better.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!