Thursday, March 05, 2009

Corn Chowder

I've been really into soup lately so when I saw this recipe for Corn Chowder on my buddy Melissa's blog I knew I had to make it.


This was an utterly delicious soup. SP absolutely loved it. I can't wait to try this when corn is in season...I bet it's even better.

Gwen's Original Corn Chowder
Slightly modified from Gwen's recipe

1 lb. bacon, diced
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup flour
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large package frozen corn, thawed
4-1/2 cups milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup sour cream

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy and brown. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. To the remaining bacon fat, add onion and garlic; sauté onion until it is clear. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Stir until smooth. While stirring, gradually add milk and chicken broth. Add in potatoes, bacon and corn. Continue to heat over medium to low heat, stirring frequently until chowder has thickened and potatoes are cooked through about 40 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in grated cheese, sour cream, parsley and scallions. Stir until cheese has melted.

To reheat – you might need to add chicken broth to thin it out as you reheat it. Heat in a pot over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, this looks perfect for cold night (which are hopefully almost OVER)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh-- that looks and sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you were making this. I'm glad I tried it and you did too. The only thing was I ate it for days for lunch and I felt like I had to add more salt and pepper every time I ate it. Don't know what that was about.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!