Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Pork Chops and Mashed Cauliflower

This was Monday's dinner - breaded pork chops and mashed cauliflower:


It doesn't look like much on the plate, but it was really tasty and easy to prepare (a huge plus since we had to run to the supermarket after we finished eating). I was going to do my pork chops the way I always do, but then I remembered I was out of eggs. I had to improvise, so I pounded the chops, seasoned them with salt and pepper on both sides and then spread them with a very thin layer of mayo before coating them with breadcrumbs. This made them taste slightly richer, but mayo is mostly eggs anyway so this worked out rather well.

For the cauliflower I cut the head into small pieces and boiled it in salted water with a few cloves of crushed garlic for about 15 minutes. Once the cauliflower was nice and tender it went into the food processor with a tablespoon of cream cheese, a splash of milk, 2 tablespoons of butter, salt and pepper. I pureed it until it was nice and smooth and adjusted the seasonings. It was smooth and creamy with just the right amount of garlic flavor to make it interesting. I think this is a great way to eat cauliflower.
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. How fun, I made mashed cauliflower and served it with pork too! Your chops look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband isn't into cauliflower but I think he would actually like this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should give cauliflower a shot that way...

    I put mayo on chicken once for the same reason and it worked out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Priscilla - I do love a good pork chop.

    Michelle - Thanks!

    foodhoe - No kidding! Great minds and all that. :)

    Robyn - I think mashed cauliflower is a great way to make it for someone who isn't a fan of cauliflower. You get all the benefits of the vegetable without that cauliflower taste.

    Melissa - It's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried cauliflower mash - it looks great so I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use mayo on my Baked Cod with lemon herb crumb topping.

    http://messyjessysmusings.blogspot.com/2007/02/under-construction.html

    It adds that extra moistness (is that a word?) and tangy flavor to the cod.

    Mashed Cauliflower - always a hit! I lived off of this stuff when I was low carb-ing it. Its a good substitute for Mashed potatoes...especially when you add in cream cheese and garlic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I made the mashed cauliflower last night and the hubby loved it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie - It's a great way to eat a healthy vegetable without feeling like it's a vegetable. :)

    Jessy - Ooooh....I'm looking for new ways to cook fish. I'll have to try the lemon herb crumb topping. :)

    The mashed cauliflower is so good! I've been meaning to try it and I'm so happy with how it came out.

    Robyn - Yay! That's excellent news. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!