Monday, February 25, 2008

Pasta Puttanesca

Sunday was a strange day and we hadn't really planned anything for dinner, but we had capers and anchovies leftover from two meals earlier this week so I thought Pasta Puttanesca sounded like a great way to use up the ingredients. A quick trip to the store for black and green olives was all we needed to put this meal together.


SP has never been a huge fan of puttanesca, but he liked this version because the olives I bought weren't overpowering. They really blended well with the other ingredients, adding a nice sharp, salty bite. Between the anchovies, capers, olives and red pepper flakes, this was a meal that really packed a flavor punch. What I really like, besides the flavor, is that the meal is so simple to make. All it takes is some time to prep the minimal ingredients since the sauce comes together in the time it takes to cook the pasta. I used penne rigatte since that's what we had on hand, but spaghetti would also work well.
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Ooogh, looks good! I made your pizza tonight instead of Saturyda...and boy, it was the best pizza I have ever tasted! I found a recipe online for a homeade crust...that made it taste even better...my family though it was great too! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite meals to make in a hurry. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Priscilla - I'm so glad you liked the pizza. What toppings did you use?

    Jessy - It really is fantastic, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mixed the ricotta cheese, olives, mushrooms, and pepperoni together. Put that on top of the crust and then spread pizza sauce all over and then sprinkled Italian sausage and mozzarella cheese all over. The ricotta cheese really made the pizza taste all the more better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a "strange day" too. couldn't put my finger on it.

    just a side note - there must be some kind of weird universal alignment between me and food network and your recipes. I NEVER watch FN. not because I don't want to, I just never get around to watching much tv. but you remember that cod croquettes meal that I saw RR do after you had posted it? well today I took a sick day, turned on FN and saw emeril making this:

    http://tasteofhomecooking.blogspot.com/2007/12/christmas-eve.html

    which I have had on my list since you posted it. so I got to watch him actually make it. too funny. maybe I'll do it for the next special occasion, or a really nice sunday meal soon. apparently, I'm meant to haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa - That is SO funny! You definitely have to try the cod croquettes and the Emeril recipe. It's like fate is smacking you upside the head with these recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. seriously! it's kismet. :)

    hope you're having a lovely evening.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!