Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Salted Fudge Brownies

These brownies. Oh lordy, these brownies.

saltedbrownies

Now you all know I rarely bake. Too many steps, too much precision, too much time waiting for things to cool, too much fat and calories for my waistline. But sometimes, sometimes I see something calling my name and I decide I want to make it. Usually this means I print out the recipe and wait for a time when I'm going over to someone's house so I can make the recipe and share it.

But then Eva posted these Salted Fudge Brownies on our cooking board and I just couldn't help myself. I printed out the recipe and while folding laundry that night I decided to just go ahead and make them right away. I had all the ingredients and when I looked at the instructions I was taken aback by how easy it is. No mixer required, no letting things rest, just melting a few ingredients in a saucepan and pouring into a baking dish. Right up my alley.

Unfortunately it was 8:30pm by the time these went into the oven, so baking for 35 minutes plus cooling for an hour on the counter plus another hour in the fridge meant I didn't get to sample them until the next day. I removed the brownies from the pan and cut them into squares. I could tell just by cutting them these were going to be the best brownies I've ever had. They were gooey and rich and fudgey, just the way I like them. And the flavor...I can't even fully describe how delicious these were, the sweetness paired with the saltiness was pure perfection. Dangerous.

If you have a well-stocked pantry I'd be willing to bet you have all the necessary ingredients to make these. So go, right now, into the kitchen. You won't be sorry.

Salted Fudge Brownies (aka the best brownies you'll ever taste)
As seen on Eva Bakes

1 and 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
2 ounces unsweetened or semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light or dark brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Maldon sea salt

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Generously grease an 8x8 inch or 9x9 inch square baking pan.

In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and unsweetened chocolate. Stir occasionally until the mixture is uniform. Turn off the stove and remove the saucepan from the heat.

Whisk in the cocoa until it is fully incorporated. Do the same with both sugars, eggs, vanilla and flour. Be sure to add in each ingredient individually and fully mix them in before adding the next one.

Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the surface with a spatula. Evenly sprinkle the sea salt over the top of the batter. Using a spatula or knife, swirl the salt into the brownie batter.

Bake the brownies in the center rack of your oven for about 40 minutes, or until the edges are done but the center is still slightly gooey. If you insert a toothpick into the center, it should come up with a little bit of the brownie batter.

Remove the brownies and set on a wire rack to cool for at least 1 hour. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and set in the refrigerator to cool for an additional hour.

After the brownies have been chilled, cut them into 16 squares and serve at room temperature.

The brownies can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month.

Yield: 12-16 brownies
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I bookmarked these when I saw them on Eva's blog too-I clearly need to go make these right away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you loved these! You remind me that I need to make another batch soon and stash them in a far corner of the freezer where nobody else can find them. Bwahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!