Monday, May 07, 2012

Corn Chowder with Cilantro, Avocado and Lime


I might have to stop saying I dislike soup.

After loving the Chicken Gnocchi (Pasta) Soup so much, as well as a few others since then, I don't shy away from soup recipes when I see them on my favorite blogs. This recipe for Corn Chowder with Avocado and Lime caught my eye when Katie posted it back in January, but once it showed up on one of her weekly menus recently I finally put it on my own menu. And am I glad I did!


SP was initially skeptical, particularly when he came home and found sliced avocado, minced cilantro and lime wedges on the cutting board. "I thought we were having corn and potato soup," he said. "We are," I replied, rummaging through the pantry for hot sauce. He swirled his soup around the bowl for awhile, waiting for me to photograph my bowl and get Baby Girl settled before he finally took a bite. "Hey, this is good," he said. I admit, I was skeptical as well. Lime with corn and potato soup? But it really, really works. The brightness of the cilantro is the perfect touch and you can never go wrong with buttery slices of avocado, at least not in my world.

I ended up going back to the original recipe for Corn Chowder with Cilantro, Lime and Avocado that Katie had modified to see what she had changed. We both love cilantro so I added it back in, thankful that I had some on hand for other recipes later in the week. I left out the masa because I didn't have any and wasn't going to buy it for a mere tablespoon. I also went back to the 6 cups of chicken broth because the soup was getting thick between the potatoes and the corn. And to save on calories I opted for half and half instead of heavy cream, but increased it back to 1 cup. Despite my spice aversion I did shake a few splashes of hot sauce into my bowl, mostly for color.


I served the soup with toasted ciabatta slathered with garlic and herb butter. It was perfect for dipping into the soup. Can't have soup with a dipper, right? Baby Girl had her own bowl of soup and loved it. She even managed to get most of it in her mouth instead of on the table and her shirt. I know the weather is getting warmer but this is too good to hold off making until fall. Treat yourself to a bowl of this soup using some fresh, sweet summer corn and you won't be sorry!

Corn Chowder with Cilantro, Avocado and Lime
Modified from both The Scattered Cook and So Tasty, So Yummy

1 tablespoon butter
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon dry masa (optional)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons water
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size chunks
6 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup half and half
1 pound frozen corn or the kernels from 5 ears of fresh corn
Minced cilantro, lime wedges, avocado slices and hot sauce for garnish

In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine the masa (if using), flour and water. Add the flour mixture, potatoes, chicken broth, cumin, salt and pepper to the pot. Bring heat to medium high, bringing the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the corn and bring back to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes more. Stir in the half and half and simmer for 2 minutes more.

Serve topped with minced cilantro, avocado, hot sauce and a squeeze of lime.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it! It is one of my favorite soups. Avocado makes everything better.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!