Friday, June 22, 2012

Black Bean Patties with Corn Relish and Avocado Cream Sauce


After the success of the Black Bean Burgers I went looking for other ways to incorporate black beans into our meal plan. I remembered seeing these Black Bean Patties with Corn Relish and Avocado Cream Sauce on Annie's blog and thinking that while they looked delicious SP would never eat them. Happily, I was wrong.


I absolutely loved these. I'm shocked at how much I enjoy black beans. SP was hoping these would just be burgers and he ended up eating his salad separately and making his patties into a burger on some whole wheat bread, but I enjoyed taking a bite of the patty with some of the salad, avocado cream and corn. I decided to gild the lily with my leftovers the next day and top the whole thing with a fried egg. Amazing.


This is an awesome dish, definitely restuarant-quality, and while I wouldn't call it an easy weeknight meal, it's simple to put together if you prep the bean mixture ahead of time. Unfortunately I don't have a squeeze bottle so my dollops of avocado cream are less than photogenic, but believe me, this is a truly fantastic dish. The tanginess from the lime juice works beautifully with the corn and tomatoes (I omitted the jalapeno so Baby Girl could eat it) and you can't go wrong with avocado in my book. And the patties are pretty much the same recipe as the burgers, so I knew they'd be a hit.


Baby Girl watched me make these and couldn't wait to try them, although she kept calling them chicken patties which made me laugh. She ended up eating one and a half patties, as well as two servings of corn and couldn't get enough of the avocado cream. That's my girl!

Black Bean Patties with Corn Relish and Avocado Cream Sauce
From Elly Says Opa, as seen on Annie’s Eats

For the patties:
2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 roasted red bell peppers, 1 coarsely chopped, 1 finely minced
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1 medium onion, finely diced
2/3 cup panko
Salt and pepper
Canola or vegetable oil

For the corn relish:
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 cups corn kernels
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced (I omitted)
1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper, to taste

For the avocado cream sauce:
1 avocado, pitted and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup light sour cream
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper, to taste

Place half the beans in a food processor with coarsely chopped bell pepper, the eggs, oregano, and cumin. Process until smooth. In a large bowl, lightly mash the remaining beans. Stir in the remaining bell pepper, onion, and smooth bean mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the panko mixing lightly. Chill for 30 minutes.

While the bean mixture is chilling, heat the canola oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn and sauté until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and jalapeño and cook about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Stir in the tomato, lime juice, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

To make the avocado cream sauce, combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Form the bean mixture into patties. Heat about 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties in batches, cooking until lightly browned and firm, about 3-4 minutes per side. Serve the patties warm topped with the corn relish and drizzled with the avocado cream sauce.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. No doubt this is a fantastic combination of flavors. Some of my favorites. I love love love black beans. I also love fried egg on top of black beans. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!