Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Black Bean Burgers


I'll admit it, I never understood vegetarian burgers. In my mind, a burger is made from meat, not vegetables, which is why I was completely shocked when I took a bite of these Black Bean Burgers and loved them. Absolutely loved them. I made these for SP, who is trying to eat less meat per doctor's orders, to keep in the freezer for easy cooking. He had wanted to buy some premade burgers at the supermarket, but at $4 for 4 burgers I knew I could make them cheaper at home, not to mention no preservatives.

As they were cooking in the pan the smell was making my stomach growl, but I still didn't think I'd like them. We split one with dinner to make sure they were tasty, and wouldn't you know it I was a little bummed that I only got half a burger. Even Baby Girl liked these, which was a nice surprise. Since the mixture is a bit too wet for the grill these need to cook in a pan with just a touch of oil. After they cooked I let them cool before placing them on a baking sheet and sticking them in the freezer for an hour or so to firm up.


After they froze a bit I wrapped each patty individually and placed them in a freezer bag. I cooked the patty we split in the microwave for about 90 seconds before serving on a bun with a little mayo. SP liked his with just the mayo but I think some additional veggies like lettuce and tomato would work well, maybe even some slices of onion. However you choose to serve it, you can't beat the flavor. I loved everything about these burgers, especially the price. I estimate these cost less than $3 to make (6 burgers), plus I know exactly what ingredients I used. Win-win.

Black Bean Burgers
As Seen On Annie's Eats
Yield: 6 burgers

3/4 cup panko
3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed, divided
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
1 shallot, minced

Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Combine the panko, Italian seasoning and 2 teaspoons of the olive oil and mix with a fork to blend. Add the mixture to the skillet and toast the panko, stirring frequently, until light golden brown. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.

Place 2 1/2 cups of the beans in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or a fork until mostly smooth. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, 1 tablespoon of the oil, cumin, salt and cayenne. Whisk to blend. Add the egg mixture, toasted panko, the remaining 1/2 cup beans, bell pepper, cilantro and shallot to the bowl with the mashed beans. Stir together until evenly combined.

Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions, about 1/2 cup each. Lightly pack into 1-inch thick patties. (At this point the patties can be covered tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 24 hours before cooking.) Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Carefully lay half of the patties in the skillet and cook until well browned on both sides, about 8-10 minutes total. Transfer the cooked burgers to a plate, tent with foil, and repeat with the remaining oil and bean patties. Serve warm.

To freeze - Place a sheet of wax paper on a large baking sheet. Put burgers, with about 2 inches between them, on the baking sheet, then place baking sheet in the freezer for an hour or until patties are frozen. Wrap each patty individually in wax paper or freezer paper and place into a freezer bag.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I will definitely be trying these!

    When I was a vegetarian, I used to build my burgers just like a meat burger - all the same condiments, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, pickle, etc. Then, when I started eating meat again, I'd even put bacon on my veggie burger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like you, burger = meat! However, I tried the eggplant burger Elly has on her blog and it was fabulous. I'm sure I'd like these too. Another healthy burger idea is one using shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely not a vegetarian, but I do love a good bean burger. These sound great!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!