Friday, May 04, 2012

Recipe Swap - Chicken in a Tomato-Basil Broth over Couscous

Want to see what other Blogger's Choice recipes were made during the swap? Here is the link to the Blogger's Choice Recipe Swap Roundup


It's recipe swap time again and this installment is one of everyone's favorites - Blogger's Choice (formerly known as SRC-style). This is where swappers are assigned an entire blog instead of a specific recipe and are tasked with picking any recipe from their assigned blog to make and write about.

My assignment turned out to be my good friend Mary Ellen's blog, Mary Ellen's Cooking Creations. As I've mentioned before, Mary Ellen and I met through our food blogs and found out that we lived about 20 minutes from each other. We've gotten together several times and our daughters are 9 months apart in age. As soon as I realized I'd be cooking from Mary Ellen's blog I knew which recipe I was going to make - Chicken in a Tomato-Basil Broth over Couscous. I'd had my eye on it ever since Mary Ellen posted it a few months ago for an earlier Blogger's Choice swap. The ingredients are reminiscent of caprese, one of my favorite flavor combinations, and the dish includes pearl couscous, my latest obsession.


I doubled the recipe so we would have leftovers and I had to use regular balsamic instead of white because the white balsamic in my pantry expired more than two years ago (!!), but otherwise I stayed true to the recipe. And was it fantastic. Holy yum! I knew it would be great because of the ingredients but the tangy kick from the balsamic was the perfect counterpoint to the creamy mozzarella and tomatoes.

This is a great summer meal I'll definitely be making again, if I can find pearl couscous. SP went to 4 stores before settling for boxes of flavored couscous (where the spice packet was separate, thankfully). I had purchased a huge container of couscous from our local wholesale club, but they didn't have it in stock. I went online to Rice Selects and even their online store is sold out at the moment. I wonder what's going on.

Chicken in a Tomato-Basil Broth over Couscous
Mary Ellen's Cooking Creations

1 box of pearled couscous
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
Salt, pepper, dry Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (regular would work fine)
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
Handful of fresh basil, cut into a chiffonade
1/2 lb fresh mozzarella, diced

Cook cous cous according to package directions.

Season chicken with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken; saute 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a dish and keep warm.

Add a touch of olive oil to your pan if it is dry. Add garlic and onions; saute 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, saute 2 minutes.
Add balsamic vinegar and stir into ingredients for about 30 seconds. Add chicken broth and half of your basil. Bring to a steady simmer. Return chicken to the pan and let simmer 5 minutes.

Serve over cous cous, top with the tomato broth, basil, and and the fresh mozzarella
Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious! I have never made couscous! Adding it to my must try soon list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the pearl couscous much more than the regular variety. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. So glad you liked this! That's really strange about the pearled cous cous - I'll have to look the next time I go to the store. Thanks for organizing the swap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at the Acme near me and no dice. Annoying!

      Delete
  3. Yum! My husband CLAIMS to hate couscous, but I just got a whole wheat variety that I've been looking for the perfect recipe to try it in...this is it! :) The mozzarella on top...swoon! Thanks for another successful swap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! I saw that Rice Select has a whole wheat variety. Let me know how it is when you try it.

      Delete
  4. Another recipe to add to my list from your blog! Thanks for hosting the swap and for the great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!